Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand this dog. She's growled at me once over a toy, and that was a new ball. I told her no and took it away. I haven't had a problem since.
But my mum is having issues with her on the couch - she'll growl when my mum tries to push her to the bottom. She used to be fine with this. When mum went to push her out of the fridge she snapped at her. She's not pushing her meanly, just a nudge to move. I did the same thing and she didn't even growl.

I don't understand why she's being posessive with one person - the one who spends most of the day with her - but will let me do anything to her. And if I did something right, what was it so my mother can do it too?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She doesn't even a pet out of me without sitting or doing something else for it, but my mum not so much. She'll give the dog most things she wants.

Okay, well it's starting to make a bit of sense now.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
With resource guarding you teach the dog to give or drop the item....you don't TAKE it from them....that's what provokes the guarding...grabbing it from them.
Same with the couch or the fridge....you don't push, poke or prod. You have the dog move by training it to move over, back-up, come to your side or whatever you want the dog to do in that instance.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
She doesn't even a pet out of me without sitting or doing something else for it, but my mum not so much. She'll give the dog most things she wants.

Okay, well it's starting to make a bit of sense now.
Sounds to me that your dog respects you, but sees your mom as socially inferior in the 'pack hierarchy'. That's why she feels she can boss your mom around.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't take take it away; I asked her to drop it and put it up and told her no more playing with it for right now. I basically did what I do when she play bites; minus the high pitched noises.

She's usually really great with people pushing her around. It's basically a 'back off' with a nudge in the direction we want her to go in. It was never an issue before, and it's only an issue now with my mum.

I think I'll print out the NILIF sticky and give that to her to read.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Have you read Jean Donaldson's booklet "Mine!" on resource guarding?

Also, instead of pushing your dog where you want her to go, why not teach her to move to touch a target for a reward?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't, but I think I'll look into it. Everyone seems to recommend it.

And that's a good idea. Would it help if my mum did the training on that with me? Most of it I do alone, and I've noticed that it just makes her listen to me but not so much to anyone else.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Definitely include your mom in the training since you want your dog to listen to her, too. If your mom doesn't have a lot of time to commit to working with you and the dog, you can work on getting the behavior reliably on your own, first, then lower the criteria when you introduce your mom and the dog should pick it up again faster with her than the first time through with you. For a target you can just use your hand, or anything that's handy (a target stick, a post it note, etc.). You can also teach your dog to "go to mat" or "go kennel" this way. Learn how to shape the behavior for the best results. Check out Susan Garrett's book "Shaping Success" and "Right on Target" by Mandy Book & Cheryl Smith for more info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts