Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruby was spayed on Thursday, vet suggested that I keep her quiet for 7-10 days. First 2 days were easy, today has been a chore, she feels better and wants to play. I can't keep her locked up 24/7 for 7-10 days, and I don't think the vet meant I had to either.

Does Ruby know what she is doing? If it was hurting she would stop right? I realize she is a puppy and like human kids they do bounce back rather quickly. She wouldn't do something that didn't feel right on her incision would she?

No walks, only allowed out to use teh bathroom and has to be on leash. How do you keep a not quite 6 month old puppy quiet? her inscision looks good and she is leaving it alone now for the most part, she will lick it once in a while but not much. I do keep her kenneled for a good part of the day but to keep her locked up for 7-10 days, only taking her out to pee seems kinda cruel, even when she was untrained she had more freedom than she does now. lol. I feel bad for her, everytime she starts to do puppy things (like playing) i lock her up and she obviously has no idea why i am doing it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Does Ruby know what she is doing? If it was hurting she would stop right?
When my puppy pulled a muscle he stayed off of it himself for a couple days, but when he was feeling a little better he wanted to play hard with all his mite... The thing is, puppy doesn't know that it is extremely easy to re-injure just after recovery and he still needs to take it easy for a few more days.
No walks, only allowed out to use teh bathroom and has to be on leash. How do you keep a not quite 6 month old puppy quiet?
To keep my pup quiet, I started squirting him with a water pistol when he barked in his kennel. It only took a few days and now he wont bark in his kennel, but he'll still whine when he really needs to pee bad (which obviously shouldn't be squirted for)..

Actually the first night i had to throw a dixie cup of water in his face to get him some shock value (had to put his bed in the dryer the next day), followed by a small squirt gun for the next couple days... I got that trick from a veterinarian.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Hmm.. your vet gave a different time frame than mine.. She told me to keep Zoey quiet for two days, but after that she could resume normal activities- just keep her from licking the stitches and no baths for 10 days. She had her's done by laser though so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I wouldn't think it would... My sister in law had her two dogs done with the regular scalpel, and her vet told her to keep them quiet for five days. They actually had to sedate theirs for I think two days to keep them from playing with each other.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When my puppy pulled a muscle he stayed off of it himself for a couple days, but when he was feeling a little better he wanted to play hard with all his mite... The thing is, puppy doesn't know that it is extremely easy to re-injure just after recovery and he still needs to take it easy for a few more days.

To keep my pup quiet, I started squirting him with a water pistol when he barked in his kennel. It only took a few days and now he wont bark in his kennel, but he'll still whine when he really needs to pee bad (which obviously shouldn't be squirted for)..

Actually the first night i had to throw a dixie cup of water in his face to get him some shock value (had to put his bed in the dryer the next day), followed by a small squirt gun for the next couple days... I got that trick from a veterinarian.
She's actually really great about not making a fuss in the kennel, typically lays down and goes to sleep, but she is getting restless and wants to be out more. yesterday she was locked up all day except for about 3 hrs, today she has been in and out, whenever she started getting hyper I'd put her in to rest. More whiny in teh kennel today compared to yesterday though, so i know she isn't liking it anymore. poor baby just wants to play, I think she feels better than I think she should....I know after my c-section it took me a good week to feel even halfway decent again.

Hmm.. your vet gave a different time frame than mine.. She told me to keep Zoey quiet for two days, but after that she could resume normal activities- just keep her from licking the stitches and no baths for 10 days. She had her's done by laser though so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I wouldn't think it would... My sister in law had her two dogs done with the regular scalpel, and her vet told her to keep them quiet for five days. They actually had to sedate theirs for I think two days to keep them from playing with each other.
Ruby wasn't lasered, she has a small incision about 3 inches long running down her belly. I'm really trying to keep her calm but again locking her up 24/7 seems excessive, especially for someone who thinks they are good to go lol.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Yes your vet meant what they said. You need to keep your pup quite for 7-10 days. It not easy for anyone to do considering most pups bounce back in 1-2 days. The reason for keepng your pet quite is that they can pop a stitch or develop a hematoma. The hematoma is the mor concerning one and the one that's more likely to happen. A hematoma is a collection of blood cells and develops when there's too much activity to the healing area. If a hematoma develops you'll have to, at minimum, bring your pup back to the vet to get antibiotcs and possibly have it drained. Hematomas can develop quickly and get nasty very quickly; they also take longer to heal. You alos have to remember that dogs, and anmals in general, don't react to pain the way we do. Many will often push themselves beyond what they're bod can/should handle.

And laser surgey is quite different from your standard spay surgery. It's much less invasive, hence the quicker healing time. However is a rather new technology so ther aren't many vets out there who know how or can do it.

·
Super Moderator
11,793 Posts
I had Esther spayed on a Friday and picked her up on Saturday to bring her home. About an hour later, she jumped in through the open window of my van - ready to go somewhere fun.

I went out with the list of restrictions from the vet and read her the riot act. A couple hours later she did the same thing again.

No, I don't think they know what they're doing.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
The occasional dog will self-regulate but your average 6 month old pup isn't one of them. I had to keep Kim tethered to me (on a leash) at home so she could be with us (crated when we were gone or for meals) to prevent her crazed "zoomies", and carried her gingerly down stairs or else she would have bounded down them and probably torn a stitch.

If she's on pain meds I would stop them because she's clearly not feeling pain.

Puzzles are your friend. Every meal frozen hard in a Kong or in a puzzle your dog finds challenging (kibble balls, tug-a-jugs, whatever) so it takes a long time and lots of concentration to eat. You can do a ton of low-activity training right now...positional (sit, stand, down), heeling (keeps her slow), stays, focus, etc.

It's a challenge but it's just until the stitches come out and a day or two after, then you'll be good to go. If she ends up reinjuring herself you get to start over on day one...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The incision may look fine, but there's a lot on the inside that we can't see. This isn't a cut, it's invasive surgery. How about keeping her on a leash during this time, so she can go with you and doesn't feel cooped up in her cage all the time?

That's what I have done with all of my dogs. They were attached to me for 10 days after the surgery, day and night. It's a horrible time, but just something to get through. It's temporary. The faster she heals, the sooner she'll be on her own. If you have an injury, it's going to be even longer.

And one lick is all it takes to introduce bacteria into an incision and cause an infection.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Try some quiet moments or recue remedy to calm her down, and lots of interactive toys.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
The thing is the dog may feel fine. They're all hopped up on pain killers, who can blame them. They still need time to heal though. If you broke your leg and had surgery and then took meds your leg may feel fine. That doesn't mean it's time to run a marathon though and you'd realize that. Dogs unfortunately aren't capable of thinking this way.

·
Super Moderator
11,793 Posts
Even without the pain meds, the dog may not exercise any self-control.

Esther wasn't taking the Rimadyl when she jump into the van through the window. I think I took them myself.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Nope, she doesn't know what she's doing. I've seen dogs with injured legs run in the park without a limp and then come back and ten minutes later are in extreme discomfort (not my dogs, idiot owners there)..they just didn't get that the adrenaline of the "fun" was overcoming the pain. Animals are also very able to hide their discomfort as part of their survival instinct.

As for the vet, I used to work at an AH and we had to be really strict in our instructions to people...for some humans "short leash walks" means 45 minute walks, when we meant 10 15 minutes. So we had to be almost TOO literal.

A walk around the block, on leash and slow with some sniffing is not too big a deal...but you have to err on the side of caution here.

I agree with the others that say jigsaw puzzles toys with food are a great way to keep her "busy" and tire out her jaws and her mind. This will help.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ask your vet if giving benadryl to keep her quiet for the next week is a good idea. Explain to them what troubles you are having and go from there. I am sure you are not he first person to call with a hyper pup.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She seemed yesterday to regulate herself, more than the night before. She would be sitting there and all of a sudden would give a hop, then she would start licking, so I guess it's pretty itchy. After her 5 minute play session with Quincy, she mellowed out and went to sleep.

Not counting Thursday (the day of the spay) today is day 4, so we are almost there. I think by Saturday she will be good to go for walks and play etc etc. When she gets hyper I put her in the kennel, for a spell, she is not liking it as much as she did but she tolerates it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts