Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our 3 month shihtzu is home, the car ride was fine. She didn't cry or anything. She threw up twice. She is home now and we fed her. She isn't eating all her food. I assume that is okay because she is scared? Should I leave out whatever her allotment is anyway and hope she gets to it? We tried to take her out to pee and poop after we fed her and she hasn't done that either. So we are going wait an hour and try again. She is napping now in her crate so we will run her out when she wakes up. She has never been on a leash so that is challenging lol. I have to look who leash training. If anyone has any ideas on that, I'd appreciate it. I will post pics once we are all settled. thanks for listening.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fantastic, and welcome home to her! Does she have a name? I suggest name training straight away. I suspect she's scared - Buddy shook the whole way home, and in his bed, and he cried for the most of 4 days. Heartbreaking, but it really is a matter of getting over it.

Has she seen a vet recently? Not to scare you because I bet she's fine, but you may want to take her for a little check up so you guys can keep an eye on her weight and they can assist her if she needs any injections. As for the not eating, it probably just is nerves. If she continues to do this and you're worried do not hesitate to see the vet, but to be honest the portions my puppy ate at first couldn't even put a bird to shame. Good luck and I hope she settles in well!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Her name is couscous. We r taking her to the vet tomm morning for an exam.

Fantastic, and welcome home to her! Does she have a name? I suggest name training straight away. I suspect she's scared - Buddy shook the whole way home, and in his bed, and he cried for the most of 4 days. Heartbreaking, but it really is a matter of getting over it.

Has she seen a vet recently? Not to scare you because I bet she's fine, but you may want to take her for a little check up so you guys can keep an eye on her weight and they can assist her if she needs any injections. As for the not eating, it probably just is nerves. If she continues to do this and you're worried do not hesitate to see the vet, but to be honest the portions my puppy ate at first couldn't even put a bird to shame. Good luck and I hope she settles in well!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I wouldn't free feed. I would put the food down for 30 minutes and if she doesn't eat than pick it up and wait until the next meal.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Congratulations! Update us on her progress when you have time ... and please ... some pics! :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I wouldn't free feed. I would put the food down for 30 minutes and if she doesn't eat than pick it up and wait until the next meal.
I agree. Divide the food into 2 portions and feed morning and evening. Free feeding can cause obesity and sometimes a finicky eater (not always, so please don't flame me!). I wouldn't worry about Couscous not eating. I'm sure she's scared and nervous. Same with going potty. Maddie didn't pee for a couple of days when we first got her! I was afraid her bladder would burst, but she finally relaxed and went. Just take your pup out frequently to give her the chance to go.

Congrats on your new puppy! Can't wait for pictures!!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I agree. Divide the food into 2 portions and feed morning and evening. Free feeding can cause obesity and sometimes a finicky eater (not always, so please don't flame me!). I wouldn't worry about Couscous not eating. I'm sure she's scared and nervous. Same with going potty. Maddie didn't pee for a couple of days when we first got her! I was afraid her bladder would burst, but she finally relaxed and went. Just take your pup out frequently to give her the chance to go.

Congrats on your new puppy! Can't wait for pictures!!
12 week old toy breed, I wouldn't free feed but I'd aim more for 4 meals a day and a bedtime snack. Hypoglycemia is a nightmare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts