Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from shopping, and my MIL who was here babysitting my kids AND the puppy, told me the puppy pooped all over and it was runny.. I wasn't here and she does tend to exaggerate sometimes, but I am sooo worried..

Why would she have diarrhea? she is happy, playful, and eating.. but I worry about parvo alot.. She didn't have any shots until about a week ago, we got her at 11 weeks, and she got her shots at 12 weeks, we had to wait to hear from the people we bought her from if she had shots or not.. they were unsure (dont ask, I know its weird) they said no, only deworming..

Well I was completely clueless and I LET HER WALK inside the vet's office.. I am praying they have enough sense to bleach walkways if a dog comes in with parvo or some other infectious disease, but I wouldn't put it past them not to.. I'm not sure how I feel about this particular vet yet.. he's really eccentric and runs his office out of an old victorian home.. He asked where I was walking her, etc, and said in a week she will have some immunity to parvo and at 16 weeks, she will get her final shots and be good a week after that.... I have since stopped walking her very far for now and am only taking her up and down the little sidwalk in front of our house to pee/poop... Maybe this was even a bad idea.. Not many people walk their dogs around here, and I live in a very small town.. The few people who avidly walk their dogs, all the dogs are older and probably have had their shots, etc.

Should I be worried? I have been a nervous wreck having her outside...We have a wicked stray cat problem here.. are there any diseases my dog could get from the cats? I asked my vet and he went into this big thing about how cats do have a parvo virus, and gave me the chemical break down of it, but no short answer, and not a clear one at that..

Should I be worried? I have no idea what her poo looks like.. Lexie has been known to eat anything.. I mean ANYTHING.. I swear its the min pin in her, attacking anything small that can go into her mouth.. and when I'm not the one to take her out (my husband, my dad, my son) who knows.. i know my dad would watch her carefully, but not sure about the other two.. Sortof freaking out!

·
Registered
475 Posts
If she has zero other symptoms other than the runs, I wouldn't worry about Parvo.

Our pup had the runs early on.. she ended up testing positive for Giardia (parasite). So if she continues to have the runs (for the record, almost every dog ends up with the runs on occasion now and then and it's just nothing but an upset tummy and nothing to worry about), take a stool sample in to the vet for a parasite check.

It may be nothing at all though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd definitely monitor her poop for a few days or more. It would be different if symptoms were presented.

I know that when I brought my puppy home, he sprayed out pure liquid poop. I read in one dog book that sometimes stress will do that to a dog. We also had switched him to a premium dog food. By the 3rd day, it was starting to harden and now it's perfectly solid. He also had no other symptoms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts