Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So my girlfriend and I got our first puppy Basil (german shepherd/ chow mix... we think and about 5 months old) and she is hyper, playful, curious and overall a great dog. Since I am a new dog owner I always have a lot of questions and usually I find the answer here on this forum, so thank you for that.

I was wondering if any of you have had experience with your puppy or dog returning a treat you've given them. Every once in a while I will give Basil a treat and she will drop it at my feet or near me then sit and look up at me. We live in a one bedroom apartment and she usually does this after looking for a place to hide it and there aren't too many. Sometimes she hides it in her crate, or in her sheet that we have out for her in the living room. She'll whimper if she can't find a place or sometimes uses it as a play thing. I'm assuming she is giving it back to me because she sees me as the dominant being... maybe i'm wrong though.
I'm not too concerned with this behavior, just interested in any insights you can offer. Also if you have any ideas for a place she can regularly hide her treats that would be great. She used to go under the couch, but can no longer fit under there (thank god).

I hope all of you are well and I look forward to your answers, ideas and suggestions.

Best,

Neil

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am all about experimental discovery especially when interacting with youth or a puppy. Next time you give a treat, try to break it into pieces and see if she eats it or hides it.

Your girl is a social creature and she seeks guidance as well as establishing a genuine connection with you.

1st why do you give her a treat and does she know to eat it?

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I do not go with the dominant being idea. :) I do however have a dog who does this with his treats because he needs them broken up in order to chew them well. He has a jaw issue from an injury. My big Dobie mix will offer her treats back to me as a tug of war game. She literally wants to tug with the darn bone in her mouth? She is a quirky thing! .....

Maybe your pup wants to play or just doesn't like that flavor? :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts