Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... like my dog never has a problem going with car rides with me, she's up for anything (we've taken her on a small cessna plane, we have taken her on the boat). I've never had her be hesitant about going somewhere with me.

But twice my roommate has tried to take her with him when he is going somewhere (i'm not home and she's in his care) and apparently she resists going and wants to go back in the house. She likes him and is excited when he comes home so it's not like she fears him or something (shoot, she likes everyone though I do think she may prefer me, she does tend to follow where I go if I go one way and my roommate the other).

Any one better with dog behavior tell me what my dog might be thinking?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am no expert but when you are not there and someone tries to take them away from their comfort area....and that person is not you...they may almost feel like they are being kidnapped

what type of car do you and they have?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am no expert but when you are not there and someone tries to take them away from their comfort area....and that person is not you...they may almost feel like they are being kidnapped

what type of car do you and they have?
Oh, he has a truck and an audi. I had a BMW sedan and now a Celica. But she's been in both of his cars with me in it.

But that does make sense. I kinda wondered if she maybe thought she needed to wait for me to get home and didn't want to leave in case I did. But your explanation is a lot simpler and makes more sense (mine attributes a lot of logic going through my dog's head). Though I still wonder why she thinks he'd kidnap her. I mean he's taken care of her while I was gone for a week even.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Once again no expert here but I say go somewhere with both of them and you leave and watch how your dogs reactions change see if her behavior is different

She may not like or trust males which is par for the course with females (dogs or otherwise ) :)

But really goodluck

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Once again no expert here but I say go somewhere with both of them and you leave and watch how your dogs reactions change see if her behavior is different

She may not like or trust males which is par for the course with females (dogs or otherwise ) :)

But really goodluck
Oh, it's not a problem. If he really wants he can usually get her to go in the car and then she enjoys it (it's just really wierd to me and I just want to know what is going on in her little doggy brain).

But, as for her fearing males, if she does she doesn't display it when I'm around (she loves everyone). On top of that when we first got her it seemed she actually preferred males (The person who owned her mom and had her for five months while looking for a home for the pups was a male).

And yeah, she'll act a bit concerned if I leave her with him (not that she acts concerned abotu being with him but she's concerned I'm leaving). But to a small extent she does that when he leaves and I stay (but I think it's not as big an extent and when she was younger she'd whine if I left even if he was there but she's never whined when he left and I was there. It's one reason I know I'm her favorite cause when I'm around and not threatening to leave she acts like she just loves everyone :) ).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds to me like you are doing what I do and looking for a human reason the dog is doing what it does..I think in the end you are domesticating a wild animal and you cant expect anything from them but all you can do is raise them right ...sounds like you have..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts