Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around strangers my dog is just awful. Today we went for a walk to a pet store to get her and the cats some food ands he was awesome.. until people come by. One of the employees wanted to give her a treat and she went wild. Bouncing, trying to jump, whining, crying, and doing everything in her power to get to this poor lady. She ignores every word I say when she's like this and she does with nearly every stranger.

If they're a certain distance she'll just sit and watch them, but if they come close she's crazy dog. I even had cheese and she still didn't listen to sit or down.

Any advice? She does this with my boyfriend as well when he comes over. I know I'm doing something wrong with her training. Usually she catches on so quickly. She amazed the pet store people when they were watching her through the window when I got her to wave at them. But sit nice for pets? No way :/

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Actually, you're off to a good start with the sits...at a distance. Your problem is keeping the sits up close. So, how to fix the Sit/Stay and have solid Stays for petting, treats or greetings? Part of the problem is that she's getting rewarded for her behavior....people/you...pay attention to her when she does this. Even if you're not happy about it you're still giving her attention. That has to stop. Don't let people get so close that her brains go out the window. It's impossible to train under those conditions.
So, that's the first thing...distance. Work at the distance that she will hold her sit/stay. Treat, praise and reinforce. Have your BF walk toward her with a treat. Note the distance at which she breaks her sit. Have BF turn around and walk away. No treat, no talking, no eye contact. Not even from you. Just hold her leash.
Let's say she broke when BF was 8' away. Have him start at 15' but stop at 10'.
You treat, praise for the good sit/stay. Practice until she learns the game...Sit/Stay gets attention/rewarded....breaking gets nothing. Start closing the distance until BF can deliver a treat WHILE SHE IS SITTING. He needs to move slow. If he rushes his approach he will be sending her the wrong message.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll give that a try. I'll see if my brother'll get on board with it too, since she still jumps on him sometimes. Maybe his girlfriend'll help out too. Thank you and I'll let you know how it goes :D

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The more people you can get to help the better. Also, start working on downs and then what are known as "doggy pushups" (alternating sits and downs).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts