Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all.
Just wondering on what your thoughts are on sharing your bed, sleeping with your dog, and if not where do you have your dogs sleeping area. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It's all good. : )

Seriously, though, it's a matter of personal preference. I don't have anyone but myself and my dogs to worry about, so of course they get to sleep on the bed. The down side is fitting all of us on the bed and the dog hair/dirt that comes with it.

When I raise guide puppies, they are not allowed on the furniture at all. So, the pups learn to sleep next to the bed, on the floor.

·
Registered
751 Posts
In my opinion, if you have a rude dog - dont let him on the bed.
If your dog is well behaved, and you invite him up thats perfectly okay in my opinion :) When im with Koda, he always sleeps at the foot of the bed

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Both our dogs sleep in our bed, and sometimes one or both of our cats! The parrot sleeps in his cage, though! :) But, we all sleep together nicely, no problems.
If a dog wasn't potty trained, or was resource guarding the bed and/or people in the bed, I would stop. Otherwise, we love it! :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
If my parents would allow it, and my one dog didn't want to eat my guinea pigs, they'd sleep in my bedroom on my bed :p I say it's fine as long as the dog is well behaved. If he keeps you up at night or bugs you, don't let him in your bed. If you sleep fine though, and the dog does well as well, I don't think it matters if they sleep on your bed :p Pretty much what doxiemommy said :p

~IJMB

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
When I adopted my dog, she had fleas, ringworm, roundworms, and tapeworm. Needless to say, she was not allowed anywhere near my bed, cause it's very easy to swallow something you shouldn't while you're asleep. Now that she's healthy and parasite free, she sleeps in the bed. All future dogs with unknown histories will not sleep in my bed until I know them to be parasite free.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My dog atm sleeps with me at bed, I think I'm gonna change that now... Maybe haha cause well if I'm on the couch she's with me and sleeps alongside me or my dad, same goes in bed, but she sleeps in her own bed if I tell her to, with repeating 3 times, don't, if she tries to come, then she just lays down and sleeps..
It's like people say, it's all about personal preference.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Loki slept with hubby and I up to about a month ago. It's crazy how much BETTER I sleep now without the additional 130lbs on the bed! LOL

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I dont think it's objective good or bad, it depends on the dog and circumstances. Pip is allowed to sleep on the bed if he likes (usually sleeps under it though) and the youngsters sleep in kennels in the bedroom so there are no overnight shenanigans.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I made Jubel sleep in his dog bed/floor when I first brought him home mostly because I thought his moving around with keep me from sleeping well, I'm such a light sleeper. Turns out I'll wake up to him moving around no matter where he is so that didn't matter. Eventually I let him in bed on the weekends, then eventually all the time. Did have to teach him bed manners, as in it's my bed and he has to move when I tell him to move without fussing. He picked it up pretty quickly that if he grumbled when I wanted him to move he was kicked out of the bed for the rest of the night.

I love sharing the bed and snuggling with him, we spoon often. I sleep with a long body pillow and recently he's decided that IS the place to be and is sharing it 80% of the time. When I want to roll over I just have to say "move puppy" and give him a little pat and he's up and moving ready to snuggle back onto my body pillow as soon as I lay it down on the other side.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It is your personal preference. I do recommend, however, that you establish with your dog that YOU own the bed. My dogs are only allowed on the bed (or sofa) when invited. If they jump up to be with me without an invitation, I push them off and make them wait for an invitation. I wouldn't want my dogs jumping on me, a child or a guest -- or worse, becoming aggressive about a comfy piece of furniture -- because they think they can go wherever they choose.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Its a tough call. I don't sleep as well with my DH and Caeda in the bed, but that said it is SO awesome waking up in the morning looking down and as soon as she sees me the tail starts whappin and she comes up for cuddles!!

IMO, make sure that your dog knows three commands WELL: Lay down, Up(as in up on the bed) and Off (as in off the bed). One of our rules is "no romping" (unless of course we initiate it....like my DH tends to on occasion). We also have the "no blanket monster" rule, as in "that thing under the covers is my FEET, not a monster to pounce on" lol.

I would suggest if you are going to let your dog sleep with you, don't do it every night. Caeda used to get kind of whiny if we've let her sleep with us for several nights then want a night off, so we've actually made a point of alternating nights. She's much better about the whining now, she's starting to realize that it isn't the end of the world if she doesn't sleep with us every night.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Luke is allowed to sleep with us if he wants to, if not he has a bed on the floor. Usually he will lay with us for about 10 minutes or so then get up and go to his bed. I think he gets hot, plus his bed is in the corner and he loves corners, plus he needs his beauty rest and does not like to be disturbed by my restless sleeping.

Zoey sleeps in her crate. She's only 7 months old and probably wouldn't hold it all night and probably wouldn't sleep all night, she would either be terrorizing Luke or the cats or me! I usually go to bed earlier than my husband, so I let the dogs lay in bed with me until he is ready for bed and then he lets them out one last time then Zoey goes in her crate and Luke usually just goes to his bed.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I always slept with Leeo ... he was good and did not potty or chew things up or get into things ... and did not shed. I cannot handle the hair in my bed. The floor and hair is totally a different thing with me ........ :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's fine. It's natural for your dog to want to sleep close to you, because he always has the pack mentality, 24/7. The important thing is that he understands it's your bed, not his.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Sleep time is cuddle time. Let them all come close and warm. Snuggles all around! xD

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
My dogs won't sleep in my bed :(. Even in the winter, even when I call them up into the bed and try to make them stay. I think I kick.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I share the bed with the lil' 20 pounder. He doesn't shed (poodlexschnauzer) and is pretty clean, he also gets cold at night and needs a blanket just like me.
He knows the rules, butts go down towards the door, heads towards the wall, I will move him if this isn't followed.
No playing or pouncing in bed unless I initiate it. He can snuggle AFTER I have fallen asleep and only to my back.
Pottying in bed is a nono, if he needs to vomit he makes as much noise as possible and waits for me to open the door (we haven't had a vomit accident IN the house in quite a while because he knows to run towards the door and I will be there with it open for him to puke outside.)
Licking is a nono, the sound grosses me out.
He sleeps next to my head or torso NOT by my feet where I will accidentally kick him, which will wake me up.

The 60 pounder on the other hand (aussie) will never get near my bed and is banned from my room. He steals things and destroys them (socks mostly), he sheds like crazy, he always would want to play with the little dog and he's just too big to share the bed with, there would be no room for me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts