Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basil's been a little bored lately and we've taken a break from his Agility classes, so I decided to use shaping to train Basil a new trick. We just started today, so we're not very far (We went through 3 pieces of chicken jerky's worth of training) but the trick I've decided to train him is: Carrying a basket by the handle in his mouth. It's perfect: it's adorable, and it has endless potential applications... I might even be able to give him the job of carrying everything around with him in his little basket.

Basil is learning SO quickly. In just a couple of shaping sessions, I've already got him picking the basket up by the handle in his mouth and walking around a couple of steps. And now every time he walks by the basket he bites the handle. I'll have him carrying it around with things inside of it in no time. I'll make sure to post a video of his new trick when it's a little more polished and refined. Wish us luck! :biggrin1:

Anybody have anymore trick ideas other than the basics that I can teach Basil?

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
These are two tricks I never carried to completion with my dog, but:
-"Hakuna Matata", the strut-walk Timon, Pumba and Simba do on the Lion King! Soro will look left right left right etc. when he hears those words, but I haven't introduced the walking yet.
-"SQUIRREL!" from Up. Similar to the above trick, I can get him to look in a certain direction but I can't get that surprised/sudden head jerk motion in there.

And other more common fun tricks:
-Hide (under the bed, etc)
-Clean up (put stuff into a container)
-Closing drawers and cabinets

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "clean up" trick could be combined with the basket carrying and he could put stuff in his basket before carrying it! :biggrin1:

Also, your other tricks sounds really adorable. I'd definitely put them on my list of future tricks to train. As for the "Squirrel" trick, are you just wanting them to look in a random direction? Because I bet I could get Basil to run to the window expecting to see a squirrel or horse! He's ALWAYS running to the window whenever he hears squirrel chatter or hoofbeats. I bet I could put a cue on it and have him run to the window even if there isn't anything out there.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Good luck :D

For "Squirrel," it's like when a dog suddenly hears a rustle in the woods or something. I can get him to look in a certain direction but not with that sense of urgency.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
We want to (eventually) teach "Laundry" So if there are any clothes on the floor or whatever she can put them into the hamper. Our closet isn't the best set up so there's usually a sock or t-shirt that ends up laying around. Teaching her that might give her something (other than play "catch me" with stuff like that), saves our stuff AND gives her a job!! Of course it'll be LONG time before we can hope to get that one to happen...."Give" and "Drop it" aren't even as solid as we need them yet lol.

Hakuna Matata!! Awesome!!!

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Teach him to read ! It is fairly simple, if he knows voice and hand signals:
1. Make some 2" x 6" cardboard flashcards.
2. Come up with 4 - 6 one word cues, such as Sit, Down, Come, (shake) Right, and (shake) Left
3. Print the words in block letters, using Black, Outlined, Yellow, or Blue to distinguish similar length words.
4. Just like normal training, show the card, then say the cue, providing a single tiny treat when correct...
5. Repeat, fading the voice cue.... then go on to the other cards. After he understands the cards, stop.
6. Work on fine-tuning cross card confusion tomorrow... It really is just like training hand signals.

There are lots of Youtube videos that demonstrate canine literacy :)

I thought it would take two weeks, but only took us about 2 minutes !!!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
2. Come up with 4 - 6 one word cues, such as Sit, Down, Come, (shake) Right, and (shake) Left
3. Print the words in block letters, using Black, Outlined, Yellow, or Blue to distinguish similar length words.
4. Just like normal training, show the card, then say the cue, providing a single tiny treat when correct...
5. Repeat, fading the voice cue.... then go on to the other cards. After he understands the cards, stop.
6. Work on fine-tuning cross card confusion tomorrow... It really is just like training hand signals.

Forgot all about this. I know you mentioned it to me in the past. Gonna have to make a note to get to this.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Hahaha, I know!

Besides, maybe I could hire him out as a Navigator Dog. I could teach him to read, say MapQuest directions and he can bark at the highway signs that have the right exit on them or something! :D

Heck, maybe this is the way he could learn the names of objects! Who knows!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Hahaha, I know!

Besides, maybe I could hire him out as a Navigator Dog. I could teach him to read, say MapQuest directions and he can bark at the highway signs that have the right exit on them or something! :D

Heck, maybe this is the way he could learn the names of objects! Who knows!
This is so silly, "The Wally" already knows how to read.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
These are two tricks I never carried to completion with my dog, but:
-"Hakuna Matata", the strut-walk Timon, Pumba and Simba do on the Lion King! Soro will look left right left right etc. when he hears those words, but I haven't introduced the walking yet.
That is the coolest trick! That would sure be a crowd pleaser!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts

·
Registered
7,226 Posts

GREAT IDEA. Add that to my list, which includes KBLover's object discrimination game, and I have a very very busy, trick filled semester coming up. CAN'T WAIT.

And thanks +two! (sorry, haven't figured out how to quote from multiple posts yet)
I haven't finished it though; I really should pick it up again. I think what I have to do is teach him to hold one leg stiffly up, then pair that with looking in a certain direction... I'll let you know if I ever get it down pat :)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A video of Basil's progress so far:

Please excuse my messy apartment, lol. So far the "criteria" for his reward, is to grab the basket in his mouth, bring it to me, and continue to hold onto it until I reward him. I've attached a command word now: "Basket." I also want to soon teach him a release word in order to drop the basket. As you can see in the video, he's still got a couple of issues, for instance, dropping the basket too early, pawing at the basket, and sticking his head in the basket.

And you might not be able to see it in the video, but every time he bites onto the basket handle and holds it, his head sort of vibrates for some reason, lol!

ETA: If the audio doesn't match up right it's because for some reason every time I upload a video on youtube it speeds it up, not sure why.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Totally cool! Might want to start adding "take it" when you point to the basket. Then you can add other objects later. You can also add "drop it" and "carry".

WOW! That is a good sized pappy. And SO cute! My guy is barely 7 pounds. We call him "the barking gerbil" (with love). LOL

As for the "messy" apartment...
I have 2 dogs, a cat, 5 parrots, a man, and a teenager to deal with in an extra double wide trailer... wanna trade? LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts