Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is just coming off of steroids and her skin is soooooo flaky and dry, her fur is finally coming back in but I feel so bad I just want to dip her in oil or something the poor thing. IS there any dog shampoo that you recommend for dry flaky skin?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Your dog needs more than a shampoo, but, EQyss Micro Teck is a oood choice (you can order it online at kvvet supply w/no shipping charges). Get some Omega 3 Fatty Acid caps - fish oil. I prefer Wild Alaskan Fish Oil, but, get whatever you can at your local grocers, or, health food store. It's cheap, and very effective.

You can also supplement her diet with sardines - in olive oil, or spring water. Cheap, yet very healthy and effective.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A oatmeal Shampoo will make a huge difference for your dog. Most dog shampoos will acctually dry out the dogs skin but oatmeal shampoo will soothe it. I would say about 95% of the time this will fix your dogs problem.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I've heard that oatmeal shampoos don't actually help all that much because they are difficult to get out of the coat and end up having drying effects because of that.

Fish oil supplements are good for dry coats, as is a bit of coconut oil. You can apply it directly to their skin or you can add it to their food. Dogs love the taste so there's no worries about having to force it down. I add about 3/4 to 1 teaspoon to my Beagle's kibble now and then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts