Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a possible new customer.
He isn't happy with his current groomer.
His dog is Husky/Lab mix and has a "dandruff" and shedding problem.

I told him I think the best way to start is to use deshedding shampoo and conditioner along with all the brushing before and after the bath.

Pulling all the shedding fur out should help some of that, at least I would think.

I think it could be a dander problem maybe from not getting the dog rinsed well enough in the first place.

Dog does not scratch and bite himself.

The dander just really bothers the owner.
I also told him that some dogs are just prone to that no matter what you use.

I asked about diet and owner did not think that could possible be the problem either.

Any ideas what to use to possibly help this guy and his dog?
Thank You in advance!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
definitely look into the dog's diet. i like usuing organic and natural shampoo. i don't use
any conditioner. brush often.

lots of time you have to groom a dog from the inside out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Food without potato can help a lot, actually. Try something with a base of lentils instead because the potato can convert too quickly and cause issues with yeast and unhealthy skin for some dogs. Also, a deshedding tool has worked wonders for me--I don't have a Furminator, (the deshedder I use seems to work just as well, though) however I've heard some great things about the Furminator. Most brushes just pull away the top coat rather than the undercoat which is really where a dog is shedding from most. I use a bar soap for dogs called DerMagic and that seems to work pretty well for me!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts