Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get a shampoo that is natural and I wasn't sure what a good brand of shampoo is? I saw that Solid Gold makes a shampoo that is all natural and I was wondering if any of you had used it?

Also, I take Bailey to the groomer but I'd like to find a good brush to use between groomings. Being a corgi she sheds quite a bit. If someone could provide me a link to a good brush for all that undercoat I would really appreciate it!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Try an undercoat rake. I use a furminator on Sassy the lab mix. She doesn't like it but a metal flea comb pulls out immense amounts of fur. I can barely use it on her coat, not sure you could get one through Corgi fur at all! The Mars Coat King doesn't work on Sassy's short coat but it is a possibility for the slightly longer Corgi coat. Cost? Flea comb is cheapest>undercoat rake>Mars CK>furminator [but there are lots of cheaper alternatives].

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I would NOT recommend a Coat King or any of the knock offs on a corgi coat. It cuts some hair, and will just ruin the coat. The undercoat rake will be good, as will a good greyhound comb, with fine teeth, at least an inch long. A comb is going to work better than a rake, cause the teeth will be closer together, but you may have to use the rake first, in order to get the comb thru the coat. Make sure you are getting ALL the way down to the skin, though, very important. You can finish it up with a furminator if you really want to get the coat out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would NOT recommend a Coat King or any of the knock offs on a corgi coat. It cuts some hair, and will just ruin the coat. The undercoat rake will be good, as will a good greyhound comb, with fine teeth, at least an inch long. A comb is going to work better than a rake, cause the teeth will be closer together, but you may have to use the rake first, in order to get the comb thru the coat. Make sure you are getting ALL the way down to the skin, though, very important. You can finish it up with a furminator if you really want to get the coat out.
Yep.. I completely agree... The undercoat rake works so much better on a corgi than a regular slicker brush... i say rake first, then comb. :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I use Buddy Wash shampoo, and for Shippo, I follow up with the Buddy Rinse conditioner. It's totally natural, and is even safe for humans to use!

I have three brushes I use on Shippo. The first is the Kong Zoom Groom, as it gets off a lot of the loose guard hairs. Next, I go through his entire coat with a Bargain Hound undercoat rake (Quite honestly, the cheapest one out there, but the BEST one that's ever worked for me, at least with these two). After that, I finish off by going over the whole coat with the slicker.

At the end, I spray with leave-in conditioner (usually Buddy Splash, but I'm getting some Mane n' Tail today to see how it works) and go brush it in with the slicker once more. This may not be necessary for a regular corgi though... does add a fresh scent though.

I don't use furminators, as they DO cut the coat (at least from what I've seen and felt - although maybe the people using them did it wrong), and I don't want either of my dogs to have coarse, prickly coats.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I'll have to look into a rake(though she really dislikes anything pulling on her coat) and that Buddy Wash shampoo and conditioner. I'll have to try the Lavender/Mint scent. The Buddy Splash looks good too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Furminators don't cut the coat.. It's essentially a clipper blade without the teeth. It's the teeth that are needed to cut the coat.. If your dogs coat has been cut with the furminator then someone was really using it wrong... All it's supposed to do it grab the loose hair and pull it out.. Put on body, pull backwards..

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
149 Posts
http://grooming.petedge.com/Undercoat-Rake-with-Wood-Handle-PS808.pro?parentCategoryId=190&categoryId=214&subCategoryId=276

Here's the best...

Works much better than any of the crappy ones from petsmart or petco..

The ones sold at those stores have been "softened" for pet owners. They have pins that roll to easily get thru clumps and mats instead of pulling them out instead..

You have to be careful with the professional one though.. You have to keep it parallel to the dogs skin. It can cut into the skin like butter...

Don't let that scare you, you're supposed to comb parallel anyway, because even a comb can but the skin...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I can't find the Bargain Hound Undercoat rake online, where did you get it? Where do you get the Buddy Wash also?

What do you guys think of this one?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752790
They sell it at Petsmart, but I don't think they sell it online. I can't find a picture of it on Google, but it's got an all blue handle and very long, narrow teeth (most of the ones they sell now don't have teeth long enough to get through Shippo's fur, or the teeth are too fat). Not ALL the rakes at petsmart suck. Just most of them.

Maybe I can take a picture of it tomorrow.

As for the furminator, I'll continue to stay away, as I've seen them damage a dog's once-silky coat on multiple occasions. Maybe it doesn't cut the coat, but maybe it breaks the hair when it's not used properly, or over-used (a lot of people misuse most things these days). I also think it's overpriced (last time I checked they wanted anywhere from $20-50 for one of those things) when my $5 undercoat rake does the trick lol.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try to head up to PetSmart tomorrow, I'm sure I can find it!

Bailey doesn't get knots or mats in her coat, I just need something for the undercoat.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I have used the Solid Gold shampoo, and although it smelled pretty decent, it didn't clean very well, and didn't help release much coat out of shedding dogs (probably due to the 'cleansing factor', or lack there of).

I guess you have had your other questions answered already, so good luck!!! :D

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I'd prefer the one Raggs listed to those two. It's probably the closest to what I'm using here. I'm doing some google searches and it seems that most undercoat rakes just aren't long enough, or if they are, the "spring-loaded, rotating teeth" kindof defeat the purpose of raking out the dead fur.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts