Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was no section for "stupid questions" so I put this here under "basic questions."

I've been doing some reading about bloat and thought I understood what was meant by "deep-chested" but I'm not really sure. Can someone give me an example of a shallow-chested dog breed? Or maybe just a not deep-chested one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Deep chested-- Danes. Boxers. Shephards. Mastiffs. Burners.

Not deep chested-- Most small breed. Most medium breed.

If you are worried about bloat, once you select a breed you are interested in, you can research and see if the breed you select is prone to it. Even if they are, there are several things you can do to mitigate the risk.

And it's not a stupid question.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Not sure of which is deep and which is shallow ... just had to respond though ... there is no such thing as a " stupid Question" ... Lol! :) ... without questions we would never learn! OH to be a four year old again! ... " Why? Why? Why?" ... ;)

Actually I would like to think a shallow chested dog example would be a Greyhound? Someone please correct me if I am guessing backwards! :)

... Off for grocery shopping now! :)

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, but I think I'm even more confused than before ;) So, a shallow-chested dog would appear more square when looking head on?

I have a standard poodle pup, which I why I'm reading about bloat (and prophylactic gastropexy).

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shallow chested would be a dog who's chest remains above the point of the elbows when viewed from the side.
Thanks. That makes sense, but I haven't been able to find a dog that meets that description. I'll continue looking :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts