Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as you may know, I own a half a pound six week old Chihuahua. I also live in a very darn hot place, which is why my A/C is on, basically all day, and my poor Chihuahua literally trembles from cold. I know she's gonna grow and probably outgrow anything I buy her, but I don't care xD

I TRIED to find clothes that fit her. I looked for guinea pig clothes everywhere I went and no one had any :\ I also tried to find kitten clothes, and NOPE.

I've tried buying from local people, here in Puerto Rico it's in style to have pups this small (I for one, don't get it and didn't do it on purpose lol) So I thought HEY, these local sellers MUST have things SMALL. And THEY DO. But what's the catch? They do these over the top dresses with sparkles and flowers and... I just want a darn shirt. I asked each and everyone of them I WANT A SHIRT "Oh sorry we do SEXY PET CLOTHES" not normal shirts! Ugh.

SO I don't know how to sew, like. At. All. I'm artistically challenged. BUT I can't find another option!

I tried making clothes from socks, but the only socks that fit her are these puffy little things that spit out a bunch of cloth when you cut into them and she already tried to eat one and... NO.

SOOOO,

tl;dr I need clothes for my tiny pup, couldn't find any, I wanna learn how to sew to make her my own, know of any tutorials out there that target dog clothes?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I don't make dog clothes, but the way I would go about it (and I am a serious sewer; I make custom dolls) would be to buy the smallest normal dog sweater you can find (that way she can use it as an adult) and cut paper to match every piece of fabric used in the shirt. color the edges in black marker so you will see it easily. Then, time to do some math.

Measure a part of the dog(D) and then measure that same part on the sweater(S). Then calculate 100*D and then divide it by S. Then you get a percentage of how much smaller she is. Scan all the pieces of paper in the same image if possible and then open up an image editor to shrink them down to the percentage you got.

Print the scanned copy, cut the new pieces out, cutting along the outer edge of the black. But before you do that, make sure they are smaller than the original paper.

Get some polyester fleece fabric. The reason I say fleece is because it doesn't fray at the edges. That means you dont have to hem it, which is a whole other adventure. Trace the new paper pieces in charcoal pencil (found at art stores) on the fleece and cut them out, leaving an extra 1cm around the edges (this is your seam allowance). Sew the fabric together to match the bigger sweater, using a durable thread. I use Gutterman or Coats and Clark. When you sew, sew on the inside edge of the charcoal lines.

Wash it on the gentle cycle of the machine, and hang to dry.

Now you have a sweater.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Not sure if you have amazon/amazon prime but I ended up Buying a ton of Greys clothes on there, the Chinese manufacturers make them super tiny!

Just a thought. I did it with prime and free shipping though, probably wouldn't be worth it if you had to pay shipping.

Can you tell I can't sew? Hahaha

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't make dog clothes, but the way I would go about it (and I am a serious sewer; I make custom dolls) would be to buy the smallest normal dog sweater you can find (that way she can use it as an adult) and cut paper to match every piece of fabric used in the shirt. color the edges in black marker so you will see it easily. Then, time to do some math.

Measure a part of the dog(D) and then measure that same part on the sweater(S). Then calculate 100*D and then divide it by S. Then you get a percentage of how much smaller she is. Scan all the pieces of paper in the same image if possible and then open up an image editor to shrink them down to the percentage you got.

Print the scanned copy, cut the new pieces out, cutting along the outer edge of the black. But before you do that, make sure they are smaller than the original paper.

Get some polyester fleece fabric. The reason I say fleece is because it doesn't fray at the edges. That means you dont have to hem it, which is a whole other adventure. Trace the new paper pieces in charcoal pencil (found at art stores) on the fleece and cut them out, leaving an extra 1cm around the edges (this is your seam allowance). Sew the fabric together to match the bigger sweater, using a durable thread. I use Gutterman or Coats and Clark. When you sew, sew on the inside edge of the charcoal lines.

Wash it on the gentle cycle of the machine, and hang to dry.

Now you have a sweater.
Thank you very much! I will definitely be trying this!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if you have amazon/amazon prime but I ended up Buying a ton of Greys clothes on there, the Chinese manufacturers make them super tiny!

Just a thought. I did it with prime and free shipping though, probably wouldn't be worth it if you had to pay shipping.

Can you tell I can't sew? Hahaha
Hahahah xD We're on the same boat, luckily for me I found a local person who does custom orders for super cheap (Im talking like $15 for two pieces) and ships them all over the country for just $2. I preferred to just order from her but I'll definitely be trying what BigLittle suggested!

Here in shops clothing is like $10 each plus tax, so the prices this lady does are awesome, and she takes paypal, so woot!

This is what she's making for me for $15

Those are actually the simpler of all designs available for the $15 offer, but she does SUPER HUGE, to SUPER TINY for same price, no matter how many accessories you want and such! So something like this:

For the same price, two of them, and she as a BUNCH more to offer lol She sends to states too, fyi xD But doesn't speak English

·
Registered
777 Posts
Nice! Glad you found good shirts for a reasonable price. I'm glad Louie hates clothes or my mom would be asking me to email the lady in my broken Spanish lol.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice! Glad you found good shirts for a reasonable price. I'm glad Louie hates clothes or my mom would be asking me to email the lady in my broken Spanish lol.
LOOOOL xD Im getting JaSlyn nice and ready cuz I'll be moving in with my parents when I graduate from college (around next year) and I know my mom will not care whether she likes it or not, she WILL have clothes on xD And like I said, she's actually super cold, makes me feel so bad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts