Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running into severe seperation anxiety with Sophie our new dog.

Howling, whining in crate at nite when going to bed, same behaviour in crate during day.

Not sure where to go.

We both work all day... not sure what to do. Need help ASAP.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
During the day, if out of the crate, and she can't see anyone she doesn't whine. If we go out and get the mail she doesn't seem to mind... Is this a crate issue? She'll go into the crate without issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had her out of her crate last nite. Did better. Issue is she isn't completely housebroken yet (was a stray). We had a good nite, but she was walked about mid nite (2amish) and had an accident this AM. Needs to go bathroom while one of us is taking a shower.

As for staying home, we wanted her crated so she wouldn't pee/poop all over the house during the days. With the crating issues, today, we have 'restrained' her open roaming to the kitchen + hall area where we have tile down. My mother in law will be over ever 3hrs or so to walk her.

We'll see how this goes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a thread going in the training section about dealing with separation anxiety. My boy's case is much more extreme but the tips given there could help your pup too, if she truly has separation anxiety. For your sake and hers, I hope it is just her getting adjusted to using a crate. Separation anxiety is an ugly beast and takes lots of work to manage it.

Just a couple quick ideas, is her crate covered? Some dogs feels more comfy if there is a blanket over it. Also have you tried giving her a kong filled with goodies while she is being crated? That could help keep her attention and give her something to do. Getting her nice and tired before going into the crate will help too. Play ball or take her on a walk to get her worn out so she will be ready to sleep and not have so much pent up energy.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
This doesn't sound so much like separation anxiety. . .I think she just hates the crate. Can you fix a room for her to stay in while you're gone? Remove anything dangerous or destroyable, and put up a baby gate. My first dog would freak out if she was put in a crate or even a large kennel, any kind of confinement really upset her. But she didn't have separation anxiety.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This doesn't sound so much like separation anxiety. . .I think she just hates the crate. Can you fix a room for her to stay in while you're gone? Remove anything dangerous or destroyable, and put up a baby gate. My first dog would freak out if she was put in a crate or even a large kennel, any kind of confinement really upset her. But she didn't have separation anxiety.
Well said Willowy, I was thinking the same, just couldn't think of a way to phrase it without sounding snotty. Be thankful OP, this issue is much easier to manage than true separation anxiety.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We cover the crate, feed her in it and put toys in. Her prior history was as free-roaming pack animal (from what it sounds like).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts