Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a dog from the shelter and he was well trained and seemed really happy. Then one random day on vacation (NOT the first time we went!) he chewed through the cat door we had on my mom's garage trying to get out. Ever since then, he's been jumping fences and chewing door frames every time something freaks him out. He didn't do it at my dad's house or my grandma's house (everyone in my family has at least one dog). But he chewed at my mom's and my boyfriend's dad's house. He chewed when we were packing to move, which is somewhat understandable, but we thought he got over it at our house. We've tried conditioning him, but it doesn't seem to be working at all. He's getting worse. He chews right through bitter spray. He ignores all of his toys when we leave, even his Kong. We block the door, he chews other frames in the house. We were only gone for 30 minutes and he chewed three different frames trying to get out. We're about to start graduate school and work on Monday, and we're really worried about leaving him home.

I'm at the end of my rope, and my boyfriend wants to bring him back to the shelter, which would be devastating. I'm looking for a crate, but I just know he would figure a way out of these flimsy wire ones and I don't have the money to get a ridiculously heavy duty crate. I was thinking maybe if I give him Rescue Remedy and put a DAP diffuser in the room, it would be enough for him to not get out of a wire crate. I honestly don't know what to do anymore.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We're still working on desensitization, but he doesn't seem to be catching on. We took away all his toys and we give him a Denta-Chew treat, Kong filled with cheese and a squeaker toy when we leave. He eats the treat, but as soon as he's done, he flips out. He doesn't even notice the Kong when we're gone but he'll bring it to us like a prize when we walk in - still full of cheese. We're going to try crating him until he's comfortable with being alone. I think we're just going to get him a DAP, thunder shirt and some Rescue Remedy to go with being in the crate while we train him.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
There's a veterinarian member on another forum I'm a member of, and he's not aversive to a TEMPORARY use of anti-anxiety meds IN ADDITION TO training, regarding separation anxiety. Just a thought. Have you talked to your vet about this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We just moved, so I'm working on finding a vet, a job and getting everything sorted for grad school. I got a little rushed because I had to take summer classes in order to get my bachelors, so I only had 2 weeks to move to a different state and get organized and settled. I'm sure my poor dog is feeling some of the stress as well. I called my old vet and they said try DAP and Rescue Remedy, and if that doesn't work, then I have to take him in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts