Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 year old dog was chasing a ball when she fell over and couldn't get up. She started to cry a distressed cry. She would try to stand, but all 4 feet kept knuckling under.

I took her to the vet. Head or neck trauma is what he thinks. Sedation, pain meds, crate rest.

Today, she can sort of walk, but all of her feet keep folding under her. She staggers and falls down. She would run into things if I didn't stop her. She looks like she is dying.

Vet is very concerned. I am very concerned. She never yelped like she was injured. She turns her head just fine. She is very, very distressed. This dog has lived her life as an athlete.

She has a history of little seizures. We are terrified that she has a tumor or something wrong with her brain. This is not a brave dog. She will not accomodate to lack of function.

Any ideas? I am heartsick.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
No answers...just sending prayers.
has the vet done an MRI of the head/neck?/spine x-ray?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Sending sincere prayers your way for both of you. I hope you find the cause, that it be simple, and she is able to make a speedy recovery.

Did anyone consider stroke?

·
Registered
891 Posts
How scary! You must be so stressed out & worried. Try to breathe deep and be calm so she can feed off of your energy. Sending you tons of good thoughts that your precious pup makes a full recovery.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She got hurt last night. My vet did injectable pain meds and injectable sedation. He wanted two days of crate rest with anti-inflamatories and icing before making any more decisions about treatment/diagnostics. Nothing has been ruled out.

She can "walk" today, but it is a staggering, wobbly, ugly walk. Her feet turn under, all of them, and she will run into things and fall down. The thought is that this is high neck or brain. We will head back to the vet tomorrow. I live in rural-nowhere. An injury on the weekend is a mess. My vet wanted to wait on x-rays until Monday. MRIs and the rest will require a referral and a two hour car ride. It will probably come to that, but not for a couple of days.

The fact that the entire body is involved does not really suggest stroke. I am worried about a tumor or a brain bleed though. She has exhibited what looks like small seizures involving only the face over the past 6 months. She has a few odd fear issues, mostly visual, surrounding lint, spots on walls, patterns... She isn't quite "right" in the head and hasn't been. Worried that it's tumor/trauma/disease of the brain.

Thank you for the kind words. We are heart-broken and very scared. She went from being a total athlete to hideously crippled in a split second. The fear in her eyes is devastating. I can't even stand to consider where we may be heading. Really, the fear and thought of losing her makes me more than a little crazy. I won't really know who I am without her, she is such a part of me, my day, my imagination... I love this dog so much. The batty ones move in and own your heart.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
In a four year old dog I would be thinking more of a fracture or slipped disc than a tumor (although anything is possible). There is also something called a fibrocartilaginous emboli or FCE that is sort of like... a tiny clot in the spine is the easiest way to think about it. You can google it, many dogs recover from it although it takes time.

I would definitely take a referral if it is available to you. If you have access to a veterinary acupuncturist, it can help a LOT with neck and spine injuries.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am so very sorry you are going through this and also for the dog. I wish there was something I could say to make the fear go away ... but from experience I know there isn't ... I will just keep you all in my prayers.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'm so sorry! I couldn't imagine going through this :( hopefully it was a spinal injury that the anti inflammatory will help. Praying for her.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'd be thinking a back injury as well. The FCE dogs I've seen seem to have more hind limb issues than all four (although perhaps there's variation). In the meantime, I'd certainly follow strict crate rest until you can get more answers.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sending prayers and good vibes your way. Please keep us updated. I can only imagine what you are going through right now with not really knowing.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

She is moving a little better now. On the flat, she can walk. She still staggers and sometimes falls, but she can walk.

Tonight she was power barking at a leaf on the lawn. Terrified. We removed the leaf and she continued to fixate where the leaf had been, still barking and scared. We had to remove her from the yard.

She went back to the vet today. We will see a canine chiropractor this week. She is also a vet. We are doing full blood panels. Today, my vet discovered a pronounced heart murmer. This is new. Lately, if we hike more than an hour, my dog has started vomiting several times. We thought it was just grass eating or over-stimulation. Now we know that it could have been over-exertion due to the heart.

No idea what's up with her. Scared and sad. However, my gut tells me that we are going to get back to some sort of new normal. I believe we will find a way to get her back to a decent quality of life. No panic yet, but I am bewildered and not sure what I am doing.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Out of left field ... has she been swimming in a pond, drinking from a stagnant puddle, resulting in a parasite infection... The Vet can rule that out quickly...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts