Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help !!!!

My dog got spayed 2 weeks ago on October 24. She is a 1 year old, 60lb german shepherd and her first and only heat cycle was in July. A few hours after bringing her home from surgery, she started bleeding from her stitches. There was a considerable amount of blood, not just a few drops, so I immediately called my vet and they told me to watch her for 30 mins and see if it slowed down and if not then bring her in. It seemed to slow down a bit so I waited until the next morning. The next morning, she started bleeding even more heavily from her stitches, dripping at a consistent rate all over the place, so I rushed her in. They gave her a blood thickener in an IV and kept her over night. She was released the next day and I was given some vials of blood thickener to administer. She has a large hematoma beneath the stitches about the size of a fist. The vet told me something vague about how she had bleeding in between the layers of stomach muscles but didn't say what caused it. For the past week she has been her happy normal self aside from the huge bump on her tummy, and the stitches appeared to be healing well.

Today, two weeks later, she is bleeding again, but the blood looks a bit watery, and the surface of the hematoma seems to have darkened a bit. I am taking her to a different vet today to get a second opinion but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before and if it could be some kind of serious internal bleeding. I have been told over and over to just let it be but I can't help but become worried when she's bleeding and every online source I can find says that bleeding after spaying is very serious. If anyone could provide experience or insight I'd be very grateful

1 - 3 of 3 Posts