Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have a service dog? I have a one year old Lab mix who's my diabetic alert dog. She carries my supplies so if I am in dire need of it, she has them on her backpack and she also alerts me when I need to take insulin or take a glucose tablet. She's quite useful.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I don't have one personally, but I have fostered puppies to become services dogs, and have adopted one of my disqualified foster pups. I also volunteered in the kennels at Dog Guides of Canada for a summer, and got to assist in training two dogs, and bonded with a lot of others.
My god daughter's mother has a guide dog, and he's an amazing help to her as well.

Glad to hear your service dog is working well for you!

·
Banned
352 Posts
Roanna (pictured) is my wifes Guide dog, from Guide Dogs for the Blind. She is her second Guide, and they have changed her life tremendously.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roanna (pictured) is my wifes Guide dog, from Guide Dogs for the Blind. She is her second Guide, and they have changed her life tremendously.
That is awesome. Did you buy her and then train her? Or did you buy her already trained?

·
Banned
352 Posts
Guide Dogs for the Blind supplies the dogs, equipment and 28 days of in-house residential training at no charge to qualified candidates. They also provide a yearly vet stipend for each Guide and retired Guide in the amount of $250 for regular checkups, Frontline, and Heartgard. The only cost we have is for food. All of the Guides are already trained and ready to go when the candidate arrives at either campus for the "people end" of the training. Most Guides are between 22-26 months old when awarded to their person.

They have 2 campuses, one in San Rafael CA, and one in Boring OR. My wife got her first Guide from San Rafael, and her second from Boring. Her first Guide, a Yellow Lab she received in 2001 retired in 2006 and we kept her as a pet. She received her second Guide in 2006 and she is still going strong. Plus, we have a Guide puppy that our youngest daughter is raising for GDB, so we have a houseful.

If you like, you can visit www.guidedogs.com and have a look around. Lots of good info there.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guide Dogs for the Blind supplies the dogs, equipment and 28 days of in-house residential training at no charge to qualified candidates. They also provide a yearly vet stipend for each Guide and retired Guide in the amount of $250 for regular checkups, Frontline, and Heartgard. The only cost we have is for food. All of the Guides are already trained and ready to go when the candidate arrives at either campus for the "people end" of the training. Most Guides are between 22-26 months old when awarded to their person.

They have 2 campuses, one in San Rafael CA, and one in Boring OR. My wife got her first Guide from San Rafael, and her second from Boring. Her first Guide, a Yellow Lab she received in 2001 retired in 2006 and we kept her as a pet. She received her second Guide in 2006 and she is still going strong. Plus, we have a Guide puppy that our youngest daughter is raising for GDB, so we have a houseful.

If you like, you can visit www.guidedogs.com and have a look around. Lots of good info there.
So the guide dog was free?? I know a lot of service dogs cost money, and I'm talking about thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have raised GSDS for police services.. Loads of work but the pay off is wonderful.. Each dog donated was from my personal breeding which was an asset..I will raise a few more in the future but for now..its about me and my family..

·
Banned
352 Posts
Yes, the Guides are free, along with all the equipment and training. The current value of a properly raised, trained and equipped Guide is set at around $65,000.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
My aunt and uncle got a chocolate lab right after they got married. She had been trained to be a seeing eye dog, but failed out of it some how. It was pretty neat though because when me and my cousins were young, we would take the dog for walks and if you would say 'left' or 'right' she would turn to go that way.. but that was pretty much all I think she knew. She was a great dog either way... VERY tolerant of little kids. We have a home video of my cousin Zack as a baby, crawling all over her like a stuffed animal. She was so sweet though.. she would just sit there and let him do it. She was very careful with him.. she didn't dare try to stand up or move while he was sitting on her. It was the sweetest thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts