Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
We used to call Muggsy a "Golden Shepherd", mostly because "German Retriever" doesn't sound nearly so romantic.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I was jokingly calling Hamilton a Jackshund until I found out that people deliberately bred Dachshunds to JRTs. Now I call him a mutt.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I was at a dock dog event on Monday, one of the wanna-be divers was a Belgian Malinois/JRT mix....announcer kept calling it a MalingJack or something like that.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I've met a Jug: JRT/Pug mix. I think it's the stupidest name breed for a dog ever, just say he's a mutt. I went through the dogbreedinfo.com site just to look at dogs (I was bored) and the names people come up with: Afador, Cav-a-Malt, etc. The one that got me laughing was Dorkie (Dachshund/Yorkie). I don't think I'd go around saying my dog was a Dorkie.

I had a stuffed animal that I christened an Alaskan Golden Hound. Amy looked like an Alaskan Malamute, Golden Retriever, and Bloodhound. She's my dog's stuffed animal now.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I know a Doxie/Yorkie mix. And, yeah, they like to tell people she's a Dorkie. They think it's hilarious.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
I'm not really sure how I feel about the whole designer dog trend. On one hand, I think it's kind of amusing to give mutts more interesting names. It also makes shelter mutts more appealing when they can advertize it as some designer name. Since there's a demand, there are breeders for these dogs and I'm sure there are some good breeders just like any of the pure breeds.

On the other hand, some mixes aren't exactly healthy and there are sure to be a lot of bad breeders out there too. Plus the fad just seems like a way for people to overcharge for designer mutts.....

·
Registered
462 Posts
I referred to my Lab/GSD's as geeks. lol They were the best dogs that I have ever had. When working or training they had the work ethic and attentiveness of a GSD but in their free time acted like large goofy puppies. I don't get the whole giving mutts designer names except to rip people off thinking that they are buying some rare new breed. I refer to Jake, my Lab mix, as a Labramutt and a houndy Heinz of a dog, since passed, was my Two Bit Pound Hound.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You know, I had a Springer x Cocker when I was a kid... it would have been soooo much easier to call her a Sprocker :)

I'm beginning to become immune to the stupid name thing. As long as people don't tell me it's a purebred Bug/Jug/Puggle/Goldendoodle, etc. I don't really care anymore. I hate that people are using the stupid names to charge an arm and a leg for the mutt or crossbreed, however, if someone wants to call their dog by some stupid, cutsie name... well, all the power to them, I suppose (you wont see me calling my mutts by dumb names, though)

·
Registered
471 Posts
I really think the originating countries of these breeds should be able to sue people who use them like that. The poor Poodle people are owed a LOT of money.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I referred to my Lab/GSD's as geeks. lol They were the best dogs that I have ever had. When working or training they had the work ethic and attentiveness of a GSD but in their free time acted like large goofy puppies. I don't get the whole giving mutts designer names except to rip people off thinking that they are buying some rare new breed. I refer to Jake, my Lab mix, as a Labramutt and a houndy Heinz of a dog, since passed, was my Two Bit Pound Hound.
Yeah, Bella definitely has the best of both breeds, too!

Heehee...Labramutt...I love it!

When Bella was a puppy I took her to PetCo and some customer asked me what breed she was. I told him a mutt - GSD/Lab. He says, "Wow! A money dog! You could breed her and make a ton of money!" I looked at him like he was nuts and told him she was being spayed in a couple weeks. Weird.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I found 33 names made up for Schnauzer mixes yesterday online. I don't use those names even for my Schnauzer/poodle(s) ... because I am embarrassed that we obtained them from a shady BYB ... before we knew better. :(

When people now ask what Eddee is ... I just say he is a Schredder. (Schnauzer mix) He shreds everything he can get his canines on! Lol! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
We call Zelda our mutt hound (my dh came up with it). Perhaps not a "designer" name, but we think it is pretty cute just like her. :)

What I find really strange is how often people ask if we ever think about breeding her.
I have to answer, "Ummm no because A. We took her right from the shelter to the vet to get fixed, and B. She is a mutt!" :nono:

This new obsession with mixing breeds is contributing to all these dogs getting "sold" on craigslist. I cannot tell you how many dogs have ended up on there multiple times as people bounce them around from home to home. :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's always so sad seeing dogs on Craigslist with a designer breed name, especially when they're older.

I think the mixed breed names are silly, since you can find a name for almost any mutt. It kind of takes away from owning a purebred dog, since anyone can claim their dog is a "pure" mix now. I've had people try to call my mixes by weird names, but I always correct them and say I have a pug/chihuahua mix, not a puggle.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I think the truth is to be politically correct, there is no such thing as mutts anymore. Now, they are designer breeds with big price tags. There was a time you couldn't give land away and now look how much it costs. Same thing for mutts. A dog is a dog, love it the way it is, treat it like family and quit with the stupid names.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
The German Sheprador is a precise mix of the finest qualities of a Lab and GSD. The ears are rosette, not too long and not pricked. The nose, ears, and tail are highlighted with GSD black. The eyes are expressive with eyebrows and dark rings.The tail has a loose curlicue, which is held upright, curling to the left. Neither black nor tricolor are accepted for this fine pedigree, only a rich Golden brown with golden highlights is acceptable.

Personality is a blend of the sharp intelligence of a GSD with the perennial youthfulness of the Lab. Care should be taken to desensitize any reactivity early, resulting in a calm, sweet dog with high energy when appropriate. Warning, do not spell within earshot of the dog and do not leave the car keys within reach.

Shep and Bella are classic examples. :)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I was asked today while walking Bentley and ginger if I was going to have rabrador puppies...WTHeck? I asked if it was some kind of mutant rabbit/lab mix and they got all serious and said , no,no it is rottweiler/lab mix. I here you can make some good money off them. My resposne

-Why in the world would i breed my dogs?? They are not breeding worthy, and there isn't no need for mix breeds in shelters because of people like you....then quickly walked away.

I am getting really tired of people asking if I am going to breed bentley so am starting to get a little angry with my answers.

DB has a link on them also...http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/l/labrottie.htm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts