Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the previous owner told me bear gets a lil upset at being left alone. Okay so i wont leave him alone often and that if left alone he will chew stuff no problem i have a crate. BUT i let him have run of the downstairs and he whined practically all night long at my bedroom door(i dont allow dogs in my room right now as i co-sleep with my 6 month old son). I get up coax him to his doggy bed and give him a bone to gnaw on...works until about 4am, when he starts to whine again. so i get up grab my pillow and my son and head to the couch...bear is all wags and drool and licks...i lay down on the couch and he promptly lays down next to the couch and finally goes to sleep...any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I wouldn't keep giving in to his whining by going to the couch. That's teaching him that it's working.

Doesn't sound like full blown SA.. my dog used to do this when we first got her. She doesn't sleep with us, and I think it's the best thing we could have done for her because it gets her used to being alone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with Miss Mutt. Going out to the couch is only reinforcing his behavior. Not to mention giving you a pain in the neck (and back).

How about having him sleep in his crate? You can say "good night" when it's bedtime, even put a drape over part of it to block some light and reinforce that it's bedtime. Our greyhound was doing a bit of early morning whining when we first got him, and doing this worked like a charm for us. Hope you find something that works!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Build the confidence to be alone. He's 'alone' in a new place and needs re-assurance, coping skills and training...not ignoring. Crating gives him a safe, comfortable and secure place to retreat to. Work on the crate training. Do the confidence building exercises to be alone....leave him with a huge, meaty soup bone while in a room by himself....showing him that being alone can be very rewarding. At other times, pop into the room and calmly praise for being quiet/showing confidence while alone. Leave him with a Buster Cube, Kong or favorite toy.

Work on stays, put him in a Down Stay...walk out of the room for 15 seconds...return and praise for keeping the Stay/being quiet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts