Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a jack russel mix, she's a little over 1 and was a rescue.. she has terrible chewing issues.. maybe seperation anxiety? She tore up the hardwood flooring.. and my friend put her in a cage and she chewed through the cage bars and the plastic bottom.. this is a little 15 lb dog we're talking about lol. The dog freaks out when my friend leaves.. so i'm guessing a really bad case of seperation anxiety.. She has no idea what to do, she's never had a dog like this. She works at a pet store and is a dog groomer and has talked to other people but they didn't know what to do..

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
http://www.petedge.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=45512

A better cage is 1st step, this prevents dog from extreme damage to home and indeed may help prevent dog from other self inflicted injuries such as swallowing something. Google aluminum cages but they are even pricier.
This and how much exercise is the dog getting? That could also be a factor. I have a dog with SA and I don't make a big deal with me coming and going. I also make sure he gets exercise before I leave and has a kong to chew on. He just barks a little now and settles down. But it took a long time and lots of emails to trainers(who gave me some tips) to get him to where he is now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She gets tons of exersize. She is also extremely hyper. She has tons of toys but can chew them all up so quickly, she even chewed a kong toy up..

·
Registered
76 Posts
stronger cage, and excerise great addvise all I can add is :)

Doing excercises where you would leave a room for a few seconds come back and reward calm behavior. Work on this slowly graudually building duration and distance until you can leave the house and come back in and reward good behavior.

If you use a kennel put dog in during day also not only when your leaving so dog can learn to love his place. Leave him with kongs and thinking toys. also as someone mentioned anytime your seperated from this dog "even rooms/leaving and coming" ignore dog until he settles down and goes about his/her business. This teaches dog that coming and going is no big deal "very social animals". That means no eye contact of any kind. Pretty sure this dog gets very excied on initial greeetings.

Now hopefully you are training obedience commands/cues with this dog and doing impulse control training. Which IS a must for ALL dogs :)?

Also when your leaving mix up the sequence that you leave, shoes, coat, keys dogs are very good at picking up sequence. Also give a frozen kong everytime you leave "he will look forward to you leavng. i play a game with my dog since he was a puppy. I hide treats everytime i leave aroubnd the house put him in a sit stay and rerlease to FIND cue, By the time he finds them all I am long gone. He actaully looks forward to the game every day. Something to work up to when your dog gains his freedom.

I'll stop here as it is a lot to take in I sometimes ramble on.

hope it helps and makes sense

·
Registered
703 Posts
I agree with everything that has been said- lots of puzzle games, exercise, the extra-extra tough Kong to chew (the black one!).

We don't have access to lots of dog toys here, but we use very thick ropes that we braid up ourselves. The dogs love to chew them and they can't eat it like they do with almost everything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.