Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Missy is a 2 year old mini schnauzer/shih tzu mix and she is fine when I leave her at home by herself. I live in an apartment and have talked with neighbors who say they never hear her bark, whine or anything while I'm gone. But, I have a few neighbors in my complex who have dogs she's friendly with and loves to have play dates with. My problem is leaving her with someone else for a play date and I leave. Her best friend is Buddy...he's just her size, is a full blooded shih tzu and they have the same energy level.

My friend and I have both left our dogs with each other....but Missy does not do as well. She is SOOOO (almost overly) friendly with everyone she meets and loves going to visit her other doggie friends IF I'm there. When I leave, she stops playing, keeps going to the door....everything you can think of that shows separation anxiety.

I'd like to know if there is something I can do to try to get her to feel comfortable while staying with someone else. I'm 70 and Missy is only 2....so I'm thinking if I ever had to go to the hospital and leave her for a few days, she'd be a total mess!!

I left her with my friend last night and she even called me twice to let Missy hear my voice over the phone....but she was still anxious and basically a nervous wreck. Donna is very patient and said we could just do this over and over until Missy gets used to it and knows I'll eventually be back.

Is that the best way to handle this or does anyone else have any good ideas?? It's a bit flattering to know your baby loves you so much....but I know it's NOT good for her. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I think the best thing to do is just keep trying and she'll get used to it. It probably won't take more than a couple times before she realizes that staying with a friend is a lot of fun.

My dog loves everybody, and loves my mom, but he was quite anxious when we left him home alone with her to go to a wedding. He spent the whole evening listening for us to come home. I'm sure if we were able to do this more often he'd get used to it.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Its good that you are taking the time to work with her. You are right! You never know when you might need to leave your pup for a few days with a friend.

I would say to keep trying. Make sure she gets good treats after you leave. Perhaps you could bring over a special or favorite toy to make her feel more comfortable. Bae Dog, who has severe separation anxiety, always feels better if he has a shirt or two of mine on the couch with him whilst I'm away. He marches upstairs, takes his pick from the laundry basket and brings it back down stairs. Just makes him feel better, I guess. Maybe sleep with a blanket or towel so it has your scent, then leave it with her whilst you go out to the grocery or errands and she stays with your friend.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips and encouragement.....you all know how we worry over our babies. I love the idea of taking a piece of my clothing to leave with her at a friend's house. She loves to lay on anything of mine even when she's home with me. I'll keep trying and take something "old, stinky and dirty" to leave with her the next time....she loves that the best....YUCK!! :bounce:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts