Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Separation Anxiety

590 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  springyfox 
#1 ·
Billy is an outside dog, and always has been. He is an ex-working American Foxhound and as such; gets much too hot in the house and prefers to be outside. Whenever we are at home, Billy is usually to be found sitting outside the back door or resting in his kennel. Whenever we are out, he keeps to the same places, but is secured with a 20 yard tie out chain so that he cannot get out of the garden.

The problem is, I have just been told by my neighbour (in a friendly way, he would rather tell me before somebody else makes a complaint), that Billy whines and howls constantly whenever we are out. I know that there are numerous threads and internet searches about separation anxiety; I was just wondering what you think are the few BEST things to do to try and combat this.

I’m not even sure how he knows if we are in or not as 90% of the time that he is outside, I am upstairs working in the office!
Thanks for your advice
Tom

#3 ·
You say he is an ex working dog..pack hunting? How old is he? What do you do with him for exercise and the chance to use his skills? Just because he is retired from the hunt doesn't mean he doesn't need to use his "job skills" to be happy. He's most likely bored out of his skull. Foxhounds, even older ones, need the chance to RUN, to scent and to chase.

Are there any recreational scent tracking clubs around? Can you take him out to track occasionally?

Remember as well that foxhounds are PACK hounds, they hunt in packs, live in packs and hang around with their packs. Now he is by himself, left in the yard and is calling for his pack. He needs things to occupy him. The puzzle/food toys are a good idea for when he is to be left alone with you guys gone and when you ARE with him you need to be doing stuff with him. If you have a large yard a flirt pole is a fun game and a way to get his willies out. You can take him biking if he has no physical issues...foxhounds are one of the highest energy hounds and are built to run MILES and MILES..their energy levels and exercise needs are right up there with dalmations and pointers.

They are also very sensitive dogs, prone to SA and he can probably tell when you are not there as your leavings and goings he can hear and smell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.