Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I brought home my 11 week old shih tuz-chihuahua mix puppy two days ago. Every since I have brought him home he can not be anywhere without me. If I leave him in the room with my boyfriend he whines until I come back into the room. When we walk he is always by my feet and if I stop, he stops. If I walk he walks.

And also on the first night home we put him in his crate for the night and he only whined for about 15 mins. tops, then he was done. But then last night (his 2nd night) he did nothing but whine all night long, I am not sure why. All he wants to do is be in my lap.

Does anyone have any sugguestions on this? I want a lap dog, but I also want a dog that will explore on his own without me by his side 24/7.

Thank You.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We got ours 4-5 days ago. 1st few he ONLY followed us and NOTHING else. Now he does other things, but mostly still just snoozes around our feet. I think as time goes by they get more and more less stressed and more interested in exploring and doing other things, and not just you. Thought you should always be THE focus of your dog. But i think its not too hard - U feed him, groom, correct, etc YOU ARE the leader and dogs respect leaders.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
One of the biggest favors you can do your pup is to be his leader. This means that sometimes you use a bit of tough love as difficult as that might be for you. Start crate training. Don't give in to those cute eyes or give him attention when he cries for attention. Give the attention when he stops and is quiet. As soon as possible start getting him used to your regular routine and don't make a big deal over comings and goings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well last night was a little better with the whining. He did it very softly for several hrs. then stopped and slept for a few.

As for the Seymour being by me all the time is slowing fading. He actually ventured out of my room all by him self and went to the other side of the house to see my mom. He is still shy around other people but I am proud of him for going by himself. :D

Thank You for the comments.
:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, for a few days our guy was not even running to the place where we set his feeding station. But after a few he runs there has quick drink and runs the heck right back. But at least he does it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Puppies take time to adjust to a new home and a new family, Even though your
puppy is a mix, I can tell you from experience that Shih Tzu do not crate very well.
Take your puppy to the pet shops and socialize him to other dogs, and to the parks.
The more you take him to different places, the more he will be socialized and become
relaxed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, crating seems not to be working. The lady that I got my puppy from did not crate her pups. But he is getting a lot better. Today he ventured around the house without my by his side, which is a big step seeing how we also have a bigger dog that he is scared of. But he didnt seem to mind today. :D

I plan on taking him to the pet store tomorrow actally. He seemed to like it the last time we went. I also want to take some puppy classes. He has improved a lot over night and I can only imagine that he will only get better and braver. :D

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Yes, crating seems not to be working. The lady that I got my puppy from did not crate her pups. But he is getting a lot better. Today he ventured around the house without my by his side, which is a big step seeing how we also have a bigger dog that he is scared of. But he didnt seem to mind today. :D

I plan on taking him to the pet store tomorrow actally. He seemed to like it the last time we went. I also want to take some puppy classes. He has improved a lot over night and I can only imagine that he will only get better and braver. :D

Thanks Again.

In what way isn't crating working? It does take time and patience (and maybe a set of earplugs :D ) but if you stick to it, it'll be the kindest thing you can do for your dog in the long run.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a new puppy too! Congratulations on your new baby!
Please reconsider taking him to the pet store until he has had
all of his shots. I love the fact that we can actually bring our
dogs into stores but not everyone keeps their pets properly
vaccinated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts