Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we've been working very diligently on Basil's separation anxiety since we adopted him, and he's made a lot of improvement! He's still pretty far from where we'd like him to be, but we'll just have to keep on it!

I'm sort of worried, though. Once we tackle his SA, will he still follow me around and want to be near me? I really really like the fact that he does that. It'd make me kind of sad if he "got over me" so to speak, and stopped being so clingy. But I really care about how he feels, and I want him to be comfortable and happy when we're gone. Do you think it's possible that he'll still be a "velco dog" once we've improved his SA? His comfort is obviously our top priority, though.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I have two velcro dogs and no separation anxiety from either one of them! If he likes being near you now, he should still like being near you once his SA is under control.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I have two velcro dogs and no separation anxiety from either one of them! If he likes being near you now, he should still like being near you once his SA is under control.
i've gotcha beat:D....i have 3 velcro dogs and (luckily) no SA.....they mope or whine periodically while i'm away from them or they'll sit by the back door waiting, but there's no anxiety about it, just calm "Mom will return soon, i know it"....but, when they're w/ me (99% of the time) they follow me from room to room unless they can see me clearly.....

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I agree. Velcro dogs are more likely to develop SA than others, but you can have one and not the other. You do have to be aware that you can make the SA worse if you don't continue with the "detachment" process long term..but this does not mean he will not be your little sidekick, just that you have to be careful not to fall into the habit of unconsciously rewarding the velcro-ness beyond being happy he is there.

Hmmm. I think that made sense...

Cracker follows me everywhere, checks in constantly but is still doing very well with her SA symptoms..so I wouldn't worry about him becoming TOO independent.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Brutus makes sure I'm out of site so he can do fun stuff like tip over the garbage can, counter cruise and drink out of the toilet. Zero checks in periodically to make sure I'm not doing anything interesting. Once he's satisfied that I'm not, he goes on his merry way.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree. Velcro dogs are more likely to develop SA than others, but you can have one and not the other. You do have to be aware that you can make the SA worse if you don't continue with the "detachment" process long term..but this does not mean he will not be your little sidekick, just that you have to be careful not to fall into the habit of unconsciously rewarding the velcro-ness beyond being happy he is there.

Hmmm. I think that made sense...

Cracker follows me everywhere, checks in constantly but is still doing very well with her SA symptoms..so I wouldn't worry about him becoming TOO independent.
Yeah, I get what you mean =D
Right now we're doing everything that's been reccomended to us to combat SA (Like leaving without any goodbyes or making a big deal about it, and coming home and ignoring him until he's calm) I was just worried that if we finally got Basil to a state where he wasn't showing the symptoms of SA anymore then the "symptom" of him following us around would be gone, too...
But I guess what everyone here is saying is making a lot of sense!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts