Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My dogs eat raw including large and small bones. I watch them. The reason to avoid marrow bones is the shafts of large mammal leg bones are harder than dog teeth. Knuckles, ribs and necks are softer bone.

Danger is there. Too much bone can cause concrete poop. Shards can perforate any part of the bowel. Dogs can choke when they try to swallow bone. Teeth can crack. My dogs have suffered from concrete poop when they have eaten too much bone. I feed calcium free meals before and after a planned big bone meal to minimize this. Shards have all passed right through, one dog swallowed a chicken neck whole, another passed a hambone, 3" shard of ceramic, whole cuponoodle styrofoam cups and so on. If they attempt to swallow before the bony bit is chomped enough then they bring it up and I tell them to chomp longer this time. Both these dogs did have slab fractures that needed no treatment late in life. No idea when or how the fractures happened.

ANY treat or toy can injure your dog. It's up to us to know our animals and act accordingly. If you want to try raw knuckles or neck bones then be sure they are larger than your dog's skull so they cannot be taken in the mouth and attempts made to swallow. Do a few rehearsals first so you know how your dog acts with raw bones. It would be good practice for leaving her crated anyway, you want to have her confined so she doesn't decide to have a great time chewing a raw bone on your sofa!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.