Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm desperate for some help. Just yesterday I adopted a 4 year old Siberian husky. Her owner told me she had some separation problems in the past, mainly she wouldn't eat unless feed by her previous owner. Sometimes whoever was watching her could get her to eat if they mixed an egg with her food.

One of the things I read about yesterday was trying to exercise to dog before feeding her. She has been eating Purina Beneful with her previous owner. I have been trying with the same.

Last night she wouldn't touch her food after walking for about an hour. Same with this morning. I took her for a 30 minute jog/walk today and tried to feed her again, this time with egg mixed in. This time she licked the egg a bunch, but that was it.

She will eat treats. I have not been giving her so many that it should halt her normal diet. I've been giving her more than I would if she had been eating normally, but that is only because she is missing all her normal calories.

I plan on taking her to the vet this week. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
The dog is brand new to you and she sounds like she's had several homes in her recent past. She is most likely anxious and uncomfortable, conditions under which it can be difficult to work up an appetite. I would tend to think that she'll start eating as she starts adjusting. In the meantime:

1) Create a routine and stick to it firmly. Getting up, taking walks, feeding meals, and going to bed at the same time each and every day will help your dog to feel safer and more confident.
2) Expect her to eat what is offered. No healthy dog is going to starve itself, so if the vet check is clear, you can stop babying her. Don't put eggs in her food and don't give her extra treats. When it comes time for a meal, put the appropriate amount of food into her bowl and leave the bowl on the floor for ten minutes. When the time is up, pick up the bowl and quietly put it away, along with any leftovers. Continue to repeat the process. She may skip a meal. She may skip a day's worth of meals. But when she gets hungry, she will eat.
3) You might try a different kibble. Beneful is pretty low quality...maybe she just doesn't like the way it tastes!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts