Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My foster dog Kayco has BAD separation anxiety issues.
To the point just then I got greeted to poop and throw up all over his crate ( I think that might of been from the wrestle I had with him going in)

Tips?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
True separation anxiety is similar to a chemical imbalance, as people have. It can be treated with drugs. But, there are other things that may help. For instance, some dogs with SA feel MORE anxious in crates (makes them feel isolated and trapped), but they are a bit better being in an ex-pen or room blocked with a baby gate, so they can see out a bit. Also, exercising them really well right BEFORE you have to confine them can sometimes relieve stress, and help them relax, maybe even sleep more in the crate.
Also, if you can find something that she enjoys, like a frozen stuffed kong, or bully stick, to give her when you put her in the crate, it could help keep her mind off being alone.

BUT, if it's really severe SA, these things can only help, not get rid of it totally. Also, do you know much about her background?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True separation anxiety is similar to a chemical imbalance, as people have. It can be treated with drugs. But, there are other things that may help. For instance, some dogs with SA feel MORE anxious in crates (makes them feel isolated and trapped), but they are a bit better being in an ex-pen or room blocked with a baby gate, so they can see out a bit. Also, exercising them really well right BEFORE you have to confine them can sometimes relieve stress, and help them relax, maybe even sleep more in the crate.
Also, if you can find something that she enjoys, like a frozen stuffed kong, or bully stick, to give her when you put her in the crate, it could help keep her mind off being alone.

BUT, if it's really severe SA, these things can only help, not get rid of it totally. Also, do you know much about her background?
He was abused and neglected, towards the end of his ownership with the other guy the man use to try to dump him off in random places but Kayco would always make his way back him. After that, thats all anyone knows of this guy.

He's a strong guy, we dont own the house so im slightly scared he'll trash the place if I leave to go somewhere.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My foster dog Kayco has BAD separation anxiety issues.
To the point just then I got greeted to poop and throw up all over his crate ( I think that might of been from the wrestle I had with him going in)

Tips?
From the sentence in parentheses, it sounds like the dog does not like/fears the crate. The puppy playroom in the following link might be a good idea for you.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/puppy-playroom-amp-doggy-den

If you need to crate him when you're not home, it has to be a pleasant, happy, safe place for the dog to go otherwise, it won't work. If the dog doesn't view the crate as a safe place now, there are ways to help make it one for the dog but it's not going to happen overnight and it'll take patience & consistency. Take a look at the crate-related stickies in this forum.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the sentence in parentheses, it sounds like the dog does not like/fears the crate. The puppy playroom in the following link might be a good idea for you.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/puppy-playroom-amp-doggy-den

If you need to crate him when you're not home, it has to be a pleasant, happy, safe place for the dog to go otherwise, it won't work. If the dog doesn't view the crate as a safe place now, there are ways to help make it one for the dog but it's not going to happen overnight and it'll take patience & consistency. Take a look at the crate-related stickies in this forum.
I do agree with that, especially the wrestle we have to do in order to get him in. However im starting to place a treat in the back of the kennel and let him go in on his own time and shutting the door ( thats when he panics)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts