Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is one year old this month. We rescued her and have put her in her crate when we are out since we got her in August. About a month ago, we visited my parents for the first time with her and she escaped out of her crate when we went for dinner. I understood this- new place, thought we abandoned her. Since then, she has escaped almost every day through either the corners of the crate or pushes out the door. We even got a new crate and same issue. Yesterday I put metal lock type things on the crate, because she has started eating the zip ties. She looks possessed when we come home. Before the trip to moms, she would walk right into her crate when I took her collar off. Now she still will, but looks panicked. I've tried treats, music, etc. she doesn't do much damage when she escapes, except goes through bathroom garages and has eaten glasses and a hair brush. Once we tried to leave her out of the crate and she ate the bottom of the door and the molding. Please help!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe the experience of being in the crate at your parents house freaked her out. Sometimes it only takes one bad experience to change the way any animal thinks of things. I'm guessing that once she realized she could get out of the crate if she tried hard enough, she just kept doing it. Since you're not there to correct the behavior, she'll just keep doing it. You should try to make her think of the crate positively again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its' not a new thing as it usually happens in the pets when the environment and surrounding changes and when you take your pet to the same environment then it reacts the same and takes some time to come to the previous behaviour, so you should try to make her feel positive with the crates with the help of treats or what she likes.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Try to recondition her to the crate. Have you googled "crate games"? Have you tried covering the crate? When you say you have tried treats, have you tried interactive type treats, like a frozen, stuffed kong? The idea with the kong is that dogs have to work at getting the good stuff out and it takes awhile, so it keeps them occupied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts