Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that don't know me, I'm Briana. I have two wonderful dogs and love them very much. Serena is a female chihuahua mix that was dropped off at my house five years ago. She came with really bad fleas and huge attachment issues at just a few weeks old.

Two years later after the Pitbull ban was lifted in Cincinnati, Ohio in 2012 came Butter. I wanted a bigger dog that would be able to run with me and Pitbulls intrigued me. They had such a bad reputation and I was worried about how housing a Pitbull and Chihuahua together would work. I went to petfinder to look at some local rescues that were available for adoption and Butter was the first search result that popped up. This was the picture I first saw. Needless to say I was instantly in love.

Fast forward to 2014. In August I left for college. Shortly after my mother found out she was pregnant. Her boyfriend moved in and now there's two dogs, two adults and a baby in a tiny cramped apartment.

Recently the apartment was shot into and my mom is desperate to move. However all the places she has looked at only either take one dog or dogs under 25lbs. She's looked at houses but they won't take Pitbulls due to liability issues.

I have a house in college with my friends. It's spacious, big and and everybody has agreed a dog makes a home complete. If all goes well with the landlord I will be taking Butter within the next two months. However I'm not sure I could handle both dogs in college. While Butter is laid back, loves everybody and rarely barks unfortunately Serena is the opposite. She's yappy, she's clingy, she always needs to be in somebody's lap and she's sassy. She makes split decisions on who she loves and who she hates. And if she hates you she will follow around and nip at your heels to remind you that you are not wanted (particularly men). She also has a mind of her own and will pull your clothes out of your closet to burrow in them if she is cold.

I feel terrible separating the dogs as they both are huge parts of my life and give each other hours of endless entertainment. I love them for different reasons but Butter has especially had a soft spot in my heart. He breaks every stigma about Pitbulls and has been one of my best friends. I could never send him to a shelter or a rescue. He is part of the family. I feel like Serena will be fine without him (he tends to steal all her toys) but when she went to get spayed he stopped eating for two days. He adores her. Am I make the right decision? I want the best possible environment for each dog. Has anybody else split up two attached dogs before?

Also, the separation isn't permanent. I come home for Christmas, Spring and Summer breaks.

All opinions and advice would be loved.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Dogs are very adaptable and especially if your dog has the consistency of a loving human around, he should do fine.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Don't worry too much about it.

Not sure if it will be of any help to you, but I'll tell you about me having to permanently separate my dog from her "friend" who to this day still lives in the same house. My dog played with the other dog every day and the did great together. My dog started attacking the other dog due to resource guarding (we were already managing it-- no food around when both dogs were in the same room and such) except it was in a way that was no longer manageable in a way that would allow them to continue to freely interact. The second time it happened after 4.5 months of the initial management being enough and no fights, that was enough of that and my dog was to be in no situation that she could even possibly go after the other dog. Initially we started off by rotating their time in the general living area and having them separated by baby gates. If they needed to be in the same room together, my dog was leashed. My dog was very stressed out by this at first since she DOES actually want to play with other dogs and isn't flat out DA. She'd cry when she'd see her on the other side of the gate and bark and whine when she heard the other dog getting excited or barking while I had her with me in our room. But you know what? That only lasted 1-1.5 weeks. Ignoring the other dog became a part of the routine and now she doesn't so much as give her a second thought 99% of the time when we have to go past her or whatever.

Dogs are resilient and, while she might suffer in the short-term, she's going to be just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts