Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are currently living with my parents. Within the household we have the family dog, a six year old German Shepherd, and my husband and I also have a dog, a one year old teacup Chihuahua. We brought the Chi home when he was just two or three months old and since then the two dogs have done everything together. The German Shepherd has been acting as a mother to our puppy and you never see them apart. They play together, eat together, and sleep together always.

However, my husband and I are planning to move cross-country in just a few months and were planning on taking the Chihuahua with us. Our biggest concern at the moment is how the two dogs will react. We don't want the German Shepherd to become depressed and likewise we don't want the Chihuahua acting out in our new home.

Does anyone have any advice or any experience with separating dogs like this?

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I don't think it's possible to really anticipate how the dogs will react -- they may have trouble with the split, or they may be fine. It seems like more of a "wait and see" thing.

That said, how do the dogs react if you separate them now -- if you take one of them somewhere and leave the other at home, or have one in a room with the door closed and not the other? You could try separating them more now so that they get used to it before the move.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your advice. Whenever the dogs are separated, if the Chi comes with us for the day, then from what I've been told the German Shepherd does just fine. The Chi, however, will cry and whine till we take him home. We will try separating them more and seeing how they do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts