Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! first time dog owner/new to this forum. Trying to do all my research before I take home my first pup :)

My question:
Do you guys use a separate crate for car/plane rides?
It doesn't seem like a big deal to most people but I'm worried that if my pup has a traumatic experience traveling in the crate, I don't want to go through the whole desensitizing process all over again when we're back home.

Also, what are you guys' take on buying used crates? Would that affect crate training because of another dog's scent?
I want to avoid having to buy a brand new crate as my puppy grows.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
As for used crates, clean it well with an enzymatic cleaner, and put an unwashed piece of YOUR clothing in it, so it has some of YOUR scent. Your breeder, or wherever you're getting the dog may also be willing to give you a blanket or two, or a toy or two that have the mama's scent, and the puppy's scent, so you can put that in the crate, too.

We have small dogs, and use the same crates for everything. In my opinion, you should use the same crate. It would be more consistent, I think, to just stick with the same one you traveled in, for now, so that he can start to be accustomed to it! :)

Good luck and congrats on your puppy!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I have been lucky and bought all my crates at Garage sales. People either quite using them or don't have a dog any more. I have paid anywhere from $5.00 to $20.00 for them, never more. As soon as the weather gets better, every Saturday (except when there is an Agility trial) is spent going around to garage sales.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts