Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I adopted Teddy and he is an absolute joy :) Long story short however, he has severe separation anxiety. The vet prescribed him amnitriptyline (may be spelled wrong..) and I was wondering if anyone had experience with anxiety meds in a dog. Do they take a while to start working? I am not being impatient, just simply want to know when I should be concerned :) I would love if anyone could share !

*also, please spare me a lecture about training and working with him- this has been a long process and medication was the absolute last resort- and I am continuing to work with him on this problem :)

THANK YOU!!!!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That's a tricyclic antidepressant, and I'm not judging you at all. SA is a mental illness and medication can be necessary. Tricyclics usually take a few weeks to reach maximum availability in the brain, so don't expect miracles immediately. They can cause side effects, usually mild stuff like dry mouth, but these types of side effects usually wear off within 2 weeks.

Actually, I'm glad you're doing everything you can to help your dog. So many people can't be bothered and just dump the dog at the shelter. Good for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts