Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

New to the forum and did some digging around. However, I couldn't find too much info on Sentinel. I'd like to give my puppy an all-in-one chewable tablet. Sentinel seems like a good value at under $65 a year a Dr. Fosters. From what I can takeaway it covers heartworm and flea control. No tick control though. Does anyone have experience with this medicine?

I've narrowed down my other options to Heartguard + Frontline or Sentinel. What do you think?

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I have used it but found that I still needed to use a topical for fleas and ticks. Since it wasn't saving me any money in that regard, I just use generic TriHart (Iverhart and TriHart are the generics of Heartguard)

If ticks arent a problem though and fleas in your area aren't bad, then Sentinel is convenient and does take care of most fleas okay. I just have neighbors who don't treat their dogs for fleas plus lots of roaming cats around so combined with the need to tick coverage, I find a topical required.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I like Sentinel, but you do need a second flea/tick if that's an issue in your area. I just combine Sentinel with a Seresto collar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used it but found that I still needed to use a topical for fleas and ticks. Since it wasn't saving me any money in that regard, I just use generic TriHart (Iverhart and TriHart are the generics of Heartguard)

If ticks arent a problem though and fleas in your area aren't bad, then Sentinel is convenient and does take care of most fleas okay. I just have neighbors who don't treat their dogs for fleas plus lots of roaming cats around so combined with the need to tick coverage, I find a topical required.
I live in GA so fleas/ticks can be an issue. Especially if we take the dog to parks. So it seems like we might just need to do Heartguard and some form of flea and tick. I really dont want to use a $50 collar. Seems like a topical or chewabale might be better, no? Any recommendations

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I live in GA so fleas/ticks can be an issue. Especially if we take the dog to parks. So it seems like we might just need to do Heartguard and some form of flea and tick. I really dont want to use a $50 collar. Seems like a topical or chewabale might be better, no? Any recommendations
I've been happy with K9 Advantix for flea and tick protection. Its not safe for cats though, so if you have cats and dogs both, you might want a different option.

Revolution is a topical heartworm, flea and some kinds of ticks preventative. Even though its only tested for some kinds of ticks, it seemed to do a solid job for ticks in general.

I have not tried the newest oral flea meds nor the flea or tick collars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts