Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Scottish terrier puppies and I've been feeding them both Blue Buffalo Puppy Chicken and Rice three times a day. One of the puppies does well and doesn't have any tummy problems. My other puppy only has a "regular" poop in the morning before breakfast. Any other time I see him poop, it's anywhere from the consistency of soft serve ice cream to liquid. I'd love to get some advice on how to proceed with him. Should I switch him to a different brand or just add something like pumpkin to his food? If I need to switch him, do I do this all at once or slowly over a few days? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
If you have just switched to BB .... I would try adding some plain pumpkin (a couple tablespoons) to his food first. It usually takes a good 6 weeks to transition and see if the food is going to be good for the dog/pup.

Over feeding can also cause this. The guidleine for feeding on dog food bags is just that ... a guideline ... give or take depending on the individual dog/pup also.

Transitioning foods should be done slowly over a week or two period. Adding a small amount of new food to the old ... and slowly increasing the new until totally transitioned. The only time I have transitioned cold turkey was when there was a severe allergy with one dog and it gave me little choice.

Each dog is an individual and may not be able to handle the same food as the other dog.

There are a lot of variables when it comes to feeding. :/

Leeo had a sensitive tummy as a pup ... opposite of his Brother Blu Boy. I ended up feeding different foods to each dog. Then Blu Boy ended up with a chicken/environmental allergy ... had to change again.

Hope you get more advice other than what I have given ........ There are some real food pro's on DF ... and hopefully they will happen along. :)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
With my cats, they were on a food with rice and corn and grains. One did ok but the other had really bad diarrhea all the time. I finally switched them to a higher quality grain free kibble and there was no more diarrhea. it was like magic. Maybe try a food without rice? Rice can be pretty irritating to their GI tract.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, Sibe. I think I'm going to switch the boys to the Chicken & Oatmeal Blue Buffalo Puppy Chow. My little one with the sensitive tummy actually had some blood in his poop on Monday so I took him to the vet. They've prescribed him some antibiotics and a probiotic. Thankfully he was negative for parasites, but obviously his sensitive tummy got a bit overwhelmed. I'm struggling because I'm moving overseas in two weeks and I'll have to special order whatever works so I'm nervous that it's going to take me several tries to find the "right" kibble for Argus. He is such a love and I want him to be a healthy boy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts