Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Im new to this site but found it through a search of the internet as our 4 month
old French Bulldog is being sick at least 3 times a day.

When we bought him home from the breeders she suggested
Feeding him minced beef, boiled eggs and royal cannin puppy food.
However he was sick after eating the beef & egg so we moved him straight to
3 meals of royal cannin.

He was fine but every now and again he would be sick. It
was mostly water and undigested food (TMi?) so we decided
to move him to an organic brand called Harringtons. Again
He was fine then every day at least once he would be sick.
One day he got really bad so took him to the vet and she checked
Him out and said it must be a bug!

Since then we have changed foods again to a raw chicken, veg and bones
food and he is still sick! Not straight after his meal but at least once during the day.
We used to stuff his Kong with peanut butter or soft cheese but he was
always sick!

There doesn't seem to be a set pattern to his sickness and he is happy and playful before
and after being sick.

Does anyone have any recommendations for food &treats suitable for our little pup?

We attend puppy classes with him and we are asked to being chicken, sausage or cheese
as treats as they are extra tasty but I think they'll make
him sick!

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
When Sassy was 16 years old and was fed three times a day she started barfing up just a little of her meal about half an hour after eating. After a couple days of that I got the message. She couldn't hold all that food in her tummy anymore. I split her meals up more, fed her 4 times a day and she was fine.

If your pup is of good weight then you are overfeeding him. Cut back by about the amount he occasionally vomits up and see how it goes.

If your pup is not growing well according to the vet then feed the same total amount you are giving him now but split it into more meals per day.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I would not feed a young dog bones/raw food as it is asking for trouble . IMO...
You will need to consider the treats as part of the total daily food . I too agree with cutting down on the total daily food ration for now. I think you need to stick with one kibble and give your dog a chance to settle down with that food , as too many food changes will cause upset stomach.

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
A puppy should not vomit one to three times a day for this long regardless of the diet or treats. I'd be worried about some type of congenital problem affecting normal movement of food in the esophagus or stomach and would want to work him up a bit more aggressively than saying "he must have a bug".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise. I will cut back his food intake per
Day and see how it helps. He is growing well and the vet
doesn't have any concerns re: weight.

The difference between this current bout of sickness is that is
is well in himself whilst when I took him to the vet previously
For bad sickness he was sleepy & not happy with himself.

He seems to be hungry after being sick and if he was another breed
I would say it was greed but supposedly Frenchies aren't greedie dogs?

Thanks again

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Any breed can be "greedy" about food. It's possible he's just eating too much, but a quick internet search turns this up about French Bulldogs:

Megaesophagus is a condition in which the esophagus is enlarged or dilated. The results of this condition are : regurgitation, loss of overall condition and frequently leads to aspiration pneumonia. Megaesophagus interferes with effective peristalsis thereby preventing food from passing down into the stomach. In practical fact, it is a really unpleasant condition for even the most tolerant of pet owners to put up with. The dog frequently vomits almost immediately after eating, exercising, or doing anything more strenuous than getting off the couch. After having purchased and lived with one dog with this condition, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, let alone their dog.
Get him worked up for megaesophagus immediately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been to see the vet today and after a long consultation about vomit she suggested that we split his daily food intake between 4 meals and elevate his bowl as it may be reflux as from what I described it sounds like he's regurgitating rather than vomitting. She has asked me to keep a diary of his sickness and will review things next week. If its no better then she will scan him and investigate further. She also suggested to change his food to wet food and add water to aid digestion so today i bought James well beloved puppy wet food pouches and will see what happens. Thanks for all your advise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts