Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help me, my two year old yorkie has had alot of stomach problems always at vet. He is now on 4 meds. antibiotics,pro health for stomach,and two pain meds. if he doesnt get pain meds he shakes and crys with pain. i was told to only give him pedigree can and dry food,beginning to think its the food.stay at vet ALOT always same problem vomiting,stomach gas,loose poop and alot of pain. any help would be greatly helpful. even changed vets still get same kind of meds

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why were you told to only give him Pedigree? Pedigree is not a quality dog food and has lots of fillers in it. If it were my dog, I would definitely try switching his food. With him being in so much pain already, I don't see how it would hurt to try.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
If Pedigree were relieving his symptoms, I'd say stick with it, even if it is an awful food, but this poor boy is suffering so much! Clearly the Pedigree isn't helping at all.

Have you tried cooking for him? Something nice and gentle like chicken and rice to start with, and if that helps, you can cook all his meals. With a tiny dog like a Yorkie, you could make an entire month's worth of food in advance and just freeze it in smaller portions.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
He sounds very ill. Did the vet give you a diagnosis? I would suspect pancreatitis with all those symptoms, has there been any testing done?

If what you are doing now isn't working then look for another way.

I would do as Amaryllis suggests and try cooking for him. A low fat diet usually is very gentle on the system.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would definitely switch foods--if he is that miserable, it surely can't hurt.

Definitely something without corn, soybean and wheat-- but I may even be tempted to go grain free right away with him, to see if it helps at all. I personally really like the Fromm brand--and it has small kibble. Wellness may be another option I would personally look into, if he was mine. (but there are many that would be worlds better than Pedigree).

Best of luck to him and you.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Poor guy. :(

Yes, pancreatitis is VERY common in Yorkies. I'd be requesting a cPL test to find that out. Does he get any people food, or other snacks and treats? Has he been getting IV fluids? These little ones can dehydrate so quickly.

I definitely don't like Pedigree. I agree if it was the ONLY thing working, I'd stick with it, but clearly it's not.

Some simple formulas - California Natural, Acana Singles, Natural Balance, etc. Has he ever been recommended an RX food? Royal Canin actually makes some decent ones (their rabbit & potato, duck & potato, etc) that often help calm the stomach.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts