Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted Max, an 8 year old American Eskimo in January. Not much information on him other than he was dropped off at the shelter in a very neglected state.

He's very smart and has learned all the 'rules' of the house.

However, he is awful in the car. He whines, cries ,howls while in the car. he jumps right in, so it's not a fear of the car. he rides in the back seat with my other eskie. When I put him in the doggie seatbelt, it doesn't change his behavior. Even if he lays down, he'll have his eyes closed and still be whining. :(

He's really a distraction and I'm worried that he's not getting any better--especially on trips. he can be in the car for 8 hours and whine the entire time.

Please help. I've tried ignoring him and it doesn't help.

Susan

Max and Jack

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Do you think he feels sick? I think ginger snap cookies help with sick feelings.

Could you put a kennel in the car, maybe he would feel more comfortable?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Read about how to desensitize dogs to things, and try some calming gel or something for doggie car sickness from your local pet store.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
He may have motion sickness, and that's pretty awful. Ginger cookies or candied ginger does help some dogs, along with desensitization. You may have to get a prescription med from your vet.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Have you tried a crate in the car? That may make him feel better as he's in a safe place. It's possible he's also having motion sickness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts