Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I'm looking for any advice. We have a 13-year-old lab who has been through a few types of cancer (mast, mammary) about 3 years ago. She underwent chemo and has been fine ever since. This weekend we went away for my birthday and she was fine, acting her usual happy self. Yesterday AM, the morning after we got back, she wouldn't eat, was lethargic and a little trembly. We took her to the emergency vet later that night because she hadn't gotten better. They ran x-rays, blood tests and urine tests. Two weeks ago she had a UTI, but those symptoms got better with antibiotics. We're still waiting for the results of the bloodwork, but her x-rays all came back fine (no enlarged organs, no lung masses, etc). The vet saw a lot of gas and thought it could be just gas, but this AM she is even more reluctant to move. We got her to eat a few bites of chicken, but that's it. I'm don't want her to suffer, but I don't know what to do without any answers. It all happened so quickly. Any advice (or good vibes) would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,928 Posts
It could just be that she ate something that upset her stomach and now doesn't feel so great. The best you can do for her right now is wait on the test results and make her comfortable. If the test results come back and the vet can't find anything, perhaps take her to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Ashley,

I hope you have gotten some answers about what is wrong with your beloved dog. Has she been drinking water regularly? As Lillith said best you can do is keep her comfortable for now until the tests come back.

I would also take her for a second opinion if the vet cant find anything wrong. You know your dog best and will ultimately know that she is not herself and that something is wrong.
I hope your girl feels better soon. lots of good vibes all the way from South Africa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there -

We got results to her blood and urine tests. Everything was fine except her WBC was low. The neutrophils cells are low, which we haven't seen before. The vet said because everything else is fine, she wants to wait and see if she improves. Right now she's eating but very weak on her legs and lethargic.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
No medical suggestion, but you might try taking her for a 10 - 30 min. walk, at her pace, around the block, or in a field off leash, if that is possible. Sometimes a little regular exercise might help to settle things down, or get things moving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone,

I wanted to update you. My pup made a full recovery after this - or so we thought. They didn't find the cause. Three weeks later, this past weekend, our dog had a series of massive seizures and we had to put her down. I'm filled with guilt and regret that I didn't catch it earlier - looking back now, I believe she had had a seizure 3 weeks ago and was weak after. I didn't know the signs and thus we didn't treat it. It's really difficult to face that it could have been different.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Very sorry to hear this. Some things just don't present clearly, and it sounds like even your Vet couldn't find all the answers. Even if you had caught, she may still have continued to be weak. Don't beat yourself up, because you gave her a good life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts