Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 10 year old male Shihtzu, who never really showed signs of attachment problems (actually more so on independent side) but he has been acting weird for the last few days :/

My whole family is away on holiday and I am alone at home with the dogs for the time being. He had been fine for the first few days, but he has started climbing on top of my lap and demanding attention now, and he RARELY does this.

If I merely hold him while doing other things, he will stand on my lap and begin barking in my face. I initially tried to pay a lot of attention and cuddle him, thinking he was feeling unsettled with rest of the family gone, but it definitely isn't getting better.

He even has started barking whenever I am out of the room more than 5 mins, and demands attention when he clearly isn't in urgent need (he is eating normally, exercising fine and pooping as usual).

My two younger dogs are fine, it's just my eldest boy stressing me out :(

Is it really just the family being away that is causing him to act so out of his usual ways? I am starting to get really concerned.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
It could be the family being away, but it also could be that he's in physical discomfort. Has he been to a vet recently to check and make sure everything is okay with him, health-wise?

·
Registered
69 Posts
It could also be that he is discovering being on laps is a good feeling and demanding attention get him a fuss. Maybe he did not get much opportunity before and no he rather likes it.

I have a 15 year old who discovered she did like laps when she got cataracts. She was too independant and aloof until then. Now she has tried it she loves getting up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts