Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a 8 year old Carin terrier mix that has had a recent bought of loose stools, I've taken him to the vet and don't the treatement but it didn't work so the vet recommended hills science diet prescription id low fat and he did better on that for about a week but then his stool turned had turned dark and hard. I contacted the vet and they said to transition him back to his regular diet which was whole earth farms adult recipe . Once I did that his stools went back to being mushy and stringy. ( No he did not ingest string toys) the vet is not responding with any other suggestions. I have tried switching him to grain free but that did not help either. Right now he is on a combination of his regular food and a few of the hills I'd low fat kibble mixed in. I would like to have him on one brand if possible. Does anyone have suggestions? Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Look into 'low residue' type kibbles. My elderly dog didn't tolerate fiber well but fat was fine. The other needed both low fat and low fiber. I cannot suggest any as I don't feed kibble but plenty of resources reviewing this type of product.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Dogs are so individual so it is hard to recommend a specific food. I can tell you that my dog tends to get soft stools on foods that use too much beans/peas/lentils/ as the main starch source. She does much better with foods that use rice. As my dog gets older, her stomach seems to be getting more sensitive. I've found Annamaet works wonders for her. I usually keep her on the Small Breed formula (same as the Ultra formula). Her stool is very small and firm on this food and I think that is because it is such a simple food.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone, Since my last post I have taken him off of the prescription diet entirely and mix a tablespoon of canned pumpkin into his night meal and it seems to be working better then the prescription diet ever did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts