Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[

I have a dog that is almost 18 yrs. old.
She has kidney problems and can not eat just anything. :(
She can have very little protein.
Her vet says she can have carbohydrates.
I feed her pasta, rice,oatmeal, potatoes and fruit.
She will only eat very small amounts of any of these.

She was prescribed Purina N/F food for kidney function.
She ate that first. No she will not.

Does anyone here have an elderly dog with a problem similar to this?
I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Dogs that are in renal failure often feel nauseated. Call your vet and see if he/she can prescribe something for the nausea. At eighteen I think adding a little chicken to your dog's diet would not hurt. I had a cat that was treated for renal failure for two years. I fed her hills k/d dry than the canned. When she no longer ate that I switched to Purinia N/F canned. When she lost interest in that I started to add a little A/D. I eventually went to 1/2 n/f and 1/2 a/d. I figured that as she was coming toward the end what would be the difference? Plus I gave her meds for the nausea some days. I was also told that feeding canned which has a higher water content is better for pets in renal failure. I'm sorry that your dog and you are going through this. I know how difficult it is to feel helpless. Just making them the most comfortable that you can is all that you can do. Also giving sq fluids sometimes simulates their appetite.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Join K9KidneyDiet yahoo group. Look through Dogaware.com's kidney page. Loads of good information. The yahoo list is intense stuff. To join you need to get all the lab work through the years and post it so the moderators can brainstorm with you to see if there is anything you haven't thought up yet.

You have done wonderfully keeping your dog until 18 years old. Sassy is 15.5 years old and has been living with this for over 2 years now. She gets home made food that is limited in phosphorus but not protein. She gave me a scare last year but a pepcid added daily started her eating again. Renal dogs get acidic and that means acid reflux, nausea and ulcers. There is medication for all of those. Go to the vet, do NOT self medicate. There is an herb that can help as well, slippery elm. That you can try on your own.

Dogs DO need protein even if they are sick with renal disease. At least add 1 or 2 cooked egg whites to the food. If she will eat it of course. Sassy gets 7 ounces meat protein out of her 16 ounces total food, chicken meat and skin, tripe and egg white. I noticed a big increase in vigor when I upped the protein from 1 gram per pound of dog to 1.2 grams per pound of dog daily. Sick dogs use a lot of energy fighting the disease and protein helps.

Protein, pepcid and the other thing that is really helping her is subcutaneous fluids daily. She never was a big water drinker and even though I spike her food with the normal amount of water plus these fluids help clean out the toxins that build up in the blood that make her feel so ill. Simple dehydration is horrible by itself, combine with the toxin build up the dogs must feel really horrible.

And last, eating trumps disease. No matter how awful it is for the kidneys food that is eaten is better than good kidney food that isn't eaten. So if your dog eats that wheat germ/yeast/liver gunk [not a real food, just some things NOT good for kidney dogs] happily in spite of all the phosphorus be happy! Read dogaware for loads of ideas.

Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi,
Thank you for the information. The Dogaware site is very informative.
Good luck with your dog as well.
If you have any more information please feel free to let me know.

Thanks everyone that replied for your suggestions and support.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts