Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
The idea of it kind of confuses me XD Why would you pay to wash your own dog when you've got a perfectly good bathtub? Though I haven't had any experience with any high-maintanence dogs in terms of grooming, so I dunno, there may be some expensive supplies that are required, and are provided for a low cost at the self-serve grooming salons?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I have used them. It is easier on your back and they usually provide grooming tables and dryers. It's especially great for large hairy dogs. It was nice to leave the mess there!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
If your dog doesn't shed much and stays calm & relaxed in the tub, that's fine. If your dog, like mine, sheds like crazy and reacts to warm water like it was molten lava, well, I'd much rather shell out $15 than spend three hours cleaning up my bathroom.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
The idea of it kind of confuses me XD Why would you pay to wash your own dog when you've got a perfectly good bathtub? Though I haven't had any experience with any high-maintanence dogs in terms of grooming, so I dunno, there may be some expensive supplies that are required, and are provided for a low cost at the self-serve grooming salons?
I can only speak for myself but
#1) We have a bathfitters tub/shower enclosure and dog nail scratches void
the warranty
#2) I have a bad back...bending over the tub, even if I could, isn't my idea
of fun
#3) the self serve dog washes are situated so the human stands up!

The local one here supply all the shampoo and towels; you provide any special needs shampoos/conditioners. They also provide the dryer, don't know if they supply grooming supplies or not. The cost here is $20 per dog.
That being said, I haven't used it because no way am I attempting to wash and rinse two shelties. We have the Dog Wash Waggin...all self contained, just like on "The Groomer Has it" and it cost me less than driving the dogs to the groomers and back, tho more than if I used the self serve

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
It really is all about convenience.
The way our small bathroom is set up, there's no way I could bathe a dog at home unless I wanted to do it outdoors with cold hose water.
You pay 10 to 20$ to use some one elses facility & leave the mess for them to clean up. We charge $10 at our facility & provide different kinds of shampoos & conditioners, nail clippers, brushes, towels, grooming smocks & aprons, high velocity dryer & a nice, clean raised & enclosed large tub with hand held shower attachment. Thinking about getting a handheld hydro surge set up in there too. We don't provide a table, but all the work can be done in the tub, just as well as a table would work.
Believe me - some of the messes left behind in there for me to clean up are almost NOT worth the $10 we're paid, LoL!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
We have sliding glass doors on our showers at home. There's no way I could do our dogs in them. I would have to wrap around the doors and lean way over to wash the dogs.

The local groomer has a "you do" option that's $15. They supply tubs with a link that clips to their collars to keep them from leaping out, aprons, shampoo and nice thick towels. They get to clean the hair and mop the floors afterward. It's a deal.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
just like everyone said, leaving the mess behind is a huge plus! :D also, iorek tries to climb the walls at home, but at the dog wash he stands there and lets us wash him. maybe because it is a different place, i don't know. they also have nice high tubs and the hoses have garden hose attachments so it is easy to control the water. they supply all the shampoo, conditioners, brushes, combs, clippers, anything you would need. they also have tables and hv dryers. although iorek HATES the dryer i still think it is worth the $20 to walk out with a clean, albeit wet, dog. we are hoping that he will eventually get used to the dryer, but that might be hoping against hope... also, the dog wash has a frequent user card, after 10 baths we get one free :)

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I use the "Dog Wash" in our area for Susie. She is just starting to really shed now that the weather has finally warmed up a little. It is well worth the money for her when you see all that hair flying everywhere when you use the blow dryer on her after the bath. They have a ramp into the tub and another ramp up onto a grooming table so it sure saves your back. You can blow so much hair out of her after the bath and I sure would not be able to do that at home or want to clean up afterwards. They supply all the soap and conditioner, brushes, combs, etc. I have taken her there once already this spring and will be taking her again next week.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've seen these before, though not in our small town. I was always interested to know how they work, and now I do! First one I saw was in Calgary, it was a Car Wash/Dog Wash.

It took me a long time to find the best way to bathe Coal. When he was little we did it in the bathtub upstairs just fine, until he decided he hates the sound of water hitting water. Then I did it in the backyard with the hose (not cold water; attached it to washtub tap inside) but he'd just go around and around in circles around me until I was tangled in the leash. (plus we could only do it this way in the summer)

Finally I tried in the shower in my bathroom downtairs. I get right in with him (I get soaked anyway, so why not?) and either bend over or kneel next to him. This seems to be the easiest way to do it, plus he's not as scared of it. He will willingly go in the shower when I tell him to!

I'd like to try the dog wash thing some day though, just to see what it's like (plus it seems awfully nice to leave the mess behind lol), but the closest one I think is in Prince George which is a two hour drive away, and Coal gets car sick so it doesn't seem worth it to drive all that way to just bathe him. Linkin whines in the vehicle, so again, doesn't seem worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts