Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For two days in a row and three times total, me and blue have been confronted by another dog on our mourning walk.

Yesturday a poodle came running and barking at us from across the street and blue showed some aggression like I've never seen before. His hair was up and he was growling but he wasn't pulling on the lesh or anything just standing his grounds. Then the poodle gets right up to us and starts barking right in his face and I thought he was going to snap so I kept pulling him back while the owner came slowly walking over, grabbed it and appoligized.

Then today a huge rott was walking around in a yard without a chain. I saw it in the distance so I turned around and started walking the other way but it was too late, the dog saw us and came running and barking. Blue stayed calm that time and the dog just ran up and was checking us out but I couldn't get rid of it and it kept following us so I walked back to the yard and knocked on the door of the yard it was in and a sleepy lady answered, said it was her dog and didn't know how it got loose.

It seems like a string of bad luck but a couple months ago a border collie jumped on a dog house and over a fence to confront us but this dog just wanted to play and wound up wandering off before too long. I knocked on the door but no one answered so I just left.

I think it is probably time to buy some mace or somthing any suggestions?

·
Registered
966 Posts
That's a really good idea! I never thought of mace for protecting my dog before. Do you have any experience with it?
I wish leash laws were better enforced.

·
Super Moderator
11,808 Posts
It's usually illegal for civilian's to carry mace.

I used to carry pepper spray but, in the one situation where I wanted to use it, I found it impossible to use without spraying both dogs.

Would the situation have been improved if you sprayed those three dogs you mentioned?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've heard of cyclist carrying a water and soap spray to ward them of dogs,they said it caused sting to the eyes and usally stopped them in their tracks. I've also heard of a doggie pepper spray,you might want to check out some bicycle shops for more information.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts

I used to carry pepper spray but, in the one situation where I wanted to use it, I found it impossible to use without spraying both dogs.

Would the situation have been improved if you sprayed those three dogs you mentioned?
I think it depends on the municipality. The problem with mace and pepper spray is it's next to impossible to not spray both dogs as you mentioned and it's also very easy to spray yourself as well. If you've got any decent wind going on, it's pretty easy to spray the whole neighborhood.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thats not what I meant at all. Those situations involved dogs that wern't being aggressive but that big dog had me concerned about being able to protect myself and my dog if a fight was to break out because I'll tell you if another dog attacks blue it's going to get ugly and at least one of us is almost garunteed to get hurt.

It's not illegal to carry mace here unless you are a felon which I'm not and now they make gel that targets the attacker instead of gas that goes all over and effects everyone.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being prepared. What would you do? I obviously can't count on these people to control their dogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts