Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got any advice for my nearly 6 month old puppy who doesn't bite husband or children but whenever I try to stroke her or play with her she bites me? She also chews at my feet (again doesn't do this to husband and only occasionally to children). Teaching note inhibition went well to start with and clearly fine for hubby. I've tried the suggestions on the teaching bite inhibition post and that's worked for hubby but not me. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
your the mom. she is going to think she can get away with it with you dont let her tell her no mouth in a mean deep voice if she keeps it up put her down ignore her if that doesn't work step it up a bit grab her by the scruff of the neck and tell her no mouth thats what a mommy dog would do to get there point across its just like if you found your 3yr old kid playing with matches a swift punishment can last a lifetime

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I don't recommend russhw's advice of grabbing puppy or speaking roughly. That's a good way to scare your puppy, though. Humans are not dogs, and dogs understand this.

Which method are you using? Withdrawing attention? It is normal for dogs to play differently with different people. My dog plays more roughly with my husband than he does with me, for example. Examine your method and be honest with yourself about how consistent you're being, or perhaps there's something you can tweak to help your dog understand that ALL HUMANS are not to be mouthed. For example, my dog plays more roughly with my husband because my husband allows it and enjoys it. I tend not to enjoy it quite as much, haha. My dog also jumps up on my husband more because he didn't stay consistent with withdrawing attention for that behavior, while I did. Dogs are very good at figuring out how they can behave around different people!

It's a normal part of training, so don't get discouraged! I would suggest reading through the bite inhibition thread again. Sometimes it helps to reflect on that advice, and then you can tweak your training accordingly. You can share your current method with us and see if we can offer any advice.

·
Registered
104 Posts
alls i can tell you is my dog doesn't put his mouth on me we play fight he justbats my hands with his mouth and we have fun

1 - 4 of 4 Posts