Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog, Belvie, had his first (and hopefully last!!) seizure around 12:45 this morning. We were both sleeping in the bedroom, me on the bed and him on his blankets, when he woke me up because he was thrashing around. It was a grand mal seizure. He was completely unconscious and thrashing badly. It lasted about a minute.

My husband was able to talk to him and get him responsive. We immediately rushed him to the emergency vet's office. Long story short, bloodwork was as normal as it could be after a seizure and his physical exam was good. We opted not to have him stay the rest of the morning (until 6:30 am... it was 2:30 am at the time) and I decided that I would just stay up to watch him just in case. I'll be calling our regular vet when they open at 7am to see if they want to see him. So far he is sleeping soundly.

As far as we know, this is his first seizure. He is 3 1/2 years old and we have had him since he was 3 months. The vet said this was a normal age for him to start to develop seizures without it being a brain tumor. Hopefully this will be his last one.

Anyone else have experience with seizures? Has your dog only had one and be ok? It was a very scary experience and I never want to repeat it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He had another one at 9:10, making it 2 in less than 9 hours. He is now on Phenobarb. We are hoping it is epilepsy and not a brain tumor/lesion.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
He had another one at 9:10, making it 2 in less than 9 hours. He is now on Phenobarb. We are hoping it is epilepsy and not a brain tumor/lesion.
I will send good thoughts and well wishes and some prayers your way for sure. I know what it is like not knowing what the problem is ... it is a hurry up and wait and go crazy thing in your mind. :(

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will send good thoughts and well wishes and some prayers your way for sure. I know what it is like not knowing what the problem is ... it is a hurry up and wait and go crazy thing in your mind. :(
Thanks! They are well appreciated. It has now been almost 24 hours since his last seizure so the meds are working.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Thanks! They are well appreciated. It has now been almost 24 hours since his last seizure so the meds are working.
Glad to hear this! :)

Leeo was misdiagnosed with seizures (actually had a fatal disease(s) that mimicked seizures)... so he was given pheno and on it for a few weeks. While on the pheno he had increased thirst and had to potty more ... of course. His appetite also increased. Not sure but he had a lot of weird things going on as he was adjusting to the meds ....

Be sure to adjust his calorie intake if he eats more or if he does not seem to want to eat ... be sure to tell your vet. :)

Good luck ... I hope it works out for him!

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Well wishes you find out a cause, and a cause that isn't any thing too serious. My Dachshund had seizure activity for the first time(s) a couple weekends ago, twice in one weekend. CT scan and bloodwork, only to find low glucose levels. Liver enzymes came back within normal ranges and a glucose recheck came back with low normal levels. Still pressing on, but no seizures since then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts