Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor Sam is 10 years old.
When my parents woke up this morning they found him on the floor having a seizure. My father said he threw up twice from 8am-3:30pm had 6 seizures in this time and he is leaking urine. They took him to the vet at 3:30pm, and he had 3 seizures while in the vet's office. The vet put him on Valium (sp?). She then did xrays of his body and said the xrays came back clean. She didn't do an xray of his head though. She said she didn't have the proper equipment I'm waiting for the bloodwork to come back in the morning...but can Sammy recover from this? The vet said it may be epilepsy...but we will wait for the bloodwork to come back. He is also having a thyroid test done. He's never done anything like this before, he just seemed to be getting tired and old when I visited my parents. I'm hoping for the best. Let me know if you have any insight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
LaLaLand - i don't have any info for you but wanted to know if you've heard from your vet regarding the blood work?
Yea, sure did. His thyroid is low, there's protein in his liver, irregular heart beat, and the xrays came back normal. The vet called again a few minutes ago, and said when they tried to change his blanket, and he walked out he collapsed and fainted, now they want to do a scan of his heart...His arrhythmia's are off the chart..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Lalaland, just wanted to also say i'm sending healing vibes.

So sorry to hear this. I wonder if the seizures are a result of low thyroid.

Sounds like he's going through a very tough time. As I'm sure you all are. Are you or your parents able to visit with him often and comfort him?

Again i just wanted to say how sorry i am and really hope they can stablize him and get him back on track v soon! Keep us posted and Hang in!!! :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Lalaland, just wanted to also say i'm sending healing vibes.

So sorry to hear this. I wonder if the seizures are a result of low thyroid.

Sounds like he's going through a very tough time. As I'm sure you all are. Are you or your parents able to visit with him often and comfort him?

Again i just wanted to say how sorry i am and really hope they can stablize him and get him back on track v soon! Keep us posted and Hang in!!! :(
Hey everyone, thanks for the support. Unfortunately Sammy passed away a few hours ago...cardiac arrest...my parents didn't even make it in time to sat goodbye. He's not suffering anymore and we will miss his very very much. I miss him already...I'm sure some of you know how I feel...You see him walking outside with his tail wagging...barking when to doorbell rings....excited to get a treat..It hurts bad right now, but i'm sure the pain will eventually pass...thanks again. I miss him so much.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
oh honey i'm sorry but like you say, at least he's not suffering anymore. I'm sure he'll be missed but at least he's now in peace.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh Sweetie, I am sooo soooo very sorry.

I know exactly how you are feeling .. I've had dogs my whole life and most of my saddest moments ever are when I've lost them.

There are no real words to say, but I can tell you how i try to deal with it. Maybe it can help you somehow.

I always feel that i would rather be feeling the terrible pain and sadness myself, than to watch my precious doggie bearing any kind of pain. I make promises to myself and to all my dogs that i will always put them first and act in the most unselfish way I possibly can.

It sounds like he went in the easiest way possible, not having to endure being prodded and poked and in terrible pain or discomfort. Count your blessing for that.

I know it's going to be a very tough night for you and your parents and for the next little while. Try and keep busy and hang in ... it does get better.

:(:(:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts