Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older female shih tzu mix dog which is VERY resistent to baths and haircuts. Groomer suggesting taking to a vet place for cut as Petsmart could not get it done. Thursday the vet place attempted cut, but they are saying dog fought much and had 2 seizures (as they called it). They also mentioned once the dog maybe fell but they didn't want to talk about that. So they quit trying to cut. After getting the dog home, she could not walk, legs collapsed when trying to walk, was extremely tired looking, and hasn't eaten in 3 days. She does drink a little water. Friday, she could walk 30 or 40 feet ok, but then gets tired out. I took her back to same vet this morning (saturday). they took blood tests and will have results monday. I really don't know what the purpose of a blood test is, as the dog was in reasonably good condition for her age before the grooming incident. Anyone have any suggestions as to cause and treatment?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Personally, I would demand to find out exactly what happened to your dog and then determine what is wrong/should be done. If she fell, that could have caused her problems, especially if she's older. As for seizures, what do they mean by that? (It sounds to me like you aren't sure what they meant exactly) Do keep in mind, though, that just because she fell or had seizures it isn't necessarily the groomer's fault....some dogs are really unhappy about grooming, and it sounds like yours is one of them; she could have easily thrown herself into a seizure or fallen off a table because she struggled so hard. Then again, it may very well be the groomers fault...they may have been too rough and scared her. Who knows....either way, you are entitled to know what happened to your dog, so ask and make them tell you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the moment, I am mainly concerned about treatment and recovery. Blood may reveal a long term problem/solution, but dog could die in a few days.

·
Registered
392 Posts
At the moment, I am mainly concerned about treatment and recovery. Blood may reveal a long term problem/solution, but dog could die in a few days.
Right, which is why you need to find out what happened...it could clue you in as to what is wrong with your girl. :wink: For example, if she fell it could be a back injury. Since you are so concerned about her, take her back to the vet and insist that they do more than blood work...after all, it was their groomer that possibly caused something.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would personally get her back to the vet...her not eating is not good, plus you said she is having trouble walking. It sounds like something more serious is going on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts