Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAIGAIS
I don't make posts very often, but I'm sorta needing some advice/tips here.

#1: Tie-out Tips.
My chihuahua is 8 years old and has never had to be on a tie-out before when outside. We've just simply had no problem with him, good recall, no issues from other dogs or neighbors. But recently -read, this past year or so- we've caught him wandering off, because people find it appropriate to leave their bitches outside unattended when they're in season, he's been pottying in other peoples' yards which is a HUGE no no -I always fix the situation and it doesn't happen very often- and worst yet, we've been having dogs come into our yard and jump him, and neighborhood kids who find it hilarious to bother my animals.
To prevent problems, I have now restricted him to a tie-out. It makes me very sad to have to do this to my old dog, but if it keeps confrontation down, then so be it.
Needles to say, he is NOT liking this, AT. ALL. Most of the time he will just stand on the porch or just barely walk around. Rarely pees, never poos. He acts like it's some big ball and chain, when in reality it's this:

Any tips to how I can get him comfortable enough with wearing this thing so that he can go to the bathroom? I don't expect him to like not being able to wander off, but he needs kinda need to go to pee. Me no likely cleaning it up inside.

#2: I think I have my mother fairly well convinced to let Aleu come live inside. We're keeping her inside for the moment because she is in heat and too many dogs are taking interest. She's absolutely ace inside. Just lays on the sofa or on her blanket in the floor or on the bed, she doesn't bother things and she's amazing as far as house training goes. She doesn't actually need any. She holds it perfectly through the night and lets me know when she needs out.
Since she's been in here, my dog related stress level has gone down to about a 2. Which is aa lllooottt better than before. It's also shown a serious change in the dog, so I believe we're set to let her stay. Hopefully.
But she does have a problem. It's no secret that Aleu does not like cats. They are snacks to her. And, I happen to have one. Now, we've had this thing going called 'Confrontation Train' and if the train comes off it's rails, everybody has to be put in some sort of time out somewhere. We've not had a serious incident so far, but she just will. not. leave my poor cat alone. Draevyn is a tight-ass, to say the least. He and Troubles have found somewhat common ground and ignore each other, but Aleu does not know how to keep it to herself. She sniffs him, pulls at his fur, bats at him, woorrooowoofs in his face CONSTANTLY and I'm waiting for Drae to claw her eyes out. Today he was in his window, HIS space, she went to look out the window, and he went postal on her. She didn't even do anything to him. I hate seeing my cat so stressed out like this, I'm afraid she's going to catch us not looking and decide not to play around anymore. He knows not to run or jump in front of her.
I feel like putting up a gate would probably be a waste of money, because she's quite good at jumping -she's up to 3 feet straight up at a stop- and if she couldn't jump it, she would probably just knock it down and vice versa.
She also tries to play with Troubles, and she's used to playing with Diesel, who is very tough and puts up with her foolishness. This dog plays ROUGH. I've seen pits get irritated at her before. She simply cannot play with him like that and clearly she doesn't understand why.

Any tips for how to get her to respect the cat's space and Troubes'? She just has to learn how to leave them alone. She's too big, too loud and too rough for them. So far I've been taking her away whenever she aggravates them, and praising her for ignoring them. Am I on the right track here? Anything else I can do?

#3: Husky owners here... how do you get yours to just shut up sometimes .-.
I love her, and I like holding bi-lingual conversations with her, but sometimes her mouth just keeps going, and going, and going and going and go- well you get it.
I try praising her for being quiet, but when I say 'good' or anything else, even hand her a treat, it's a little like
WOOOOOOOOOOOO-
"Quiet! -silence- Good gir-"
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
-.-

·
Registered
291 Posts
Point 1. - Why is the dog allowed to wander off? Is your yard not secure? If not can it not be made so the dog cannot get out and the neighbourhood kids can't torment him. If it cannot be fenced, could you build a run for him. Using temporary fencing panels is cheap and easy. Talk to a construction supply company or your local Lowes may carry them.

Point 2. Read up on "Look at That Game" and condition him to ignore the cat. It may take a while but the LAT game does it's job well.

Point 3. Consistency with use of the quiet command is essential. You only tell him quiet when he stops making a noise and reward him for being quiet - consistently. Again it takes time.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
1. if a fence is not a possiblity train him with it on, play fetch or some kind of game with it on him. Let him look at it as a good thing not a bad thing

2. I taught my dogs the word leave it when it comes to cats. My dogs and cats play together but with Tank's high prey drive. I rarely let him around them to play. When it comes to space my dogs just knew so know help there. My dogs are good at correcting each other when it comes to space. Bentley was told once by Tank and twice by Mae and know understands.

3. agree with above poster.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Point 1. - Why is the dog allowed to wander off? Is your yard not secure? If not can it not be made so the dog cannot get out and the neighbourhood kids can't torment him. If it cannot be fenced, could you build a run for him. Using temporary fencing panels is cheap and easy. Talk to a construction supply company or your local Lowes may carry them.
He's not "allowed to wander off". He's tiny, and quick, and we live in a neighborhood full of children where everything from pools to toys to cars to, everything else, just lays in the yard. It's quite easy for him to slip behind something then be gone. Like I said, for 8 years, this has never been a problem, but within this past years we've gotten quite a few new neighbors that have NO respect for other people. They come into our yards and torment people's pets. Their parents nor the landlord have seen fit to do anything about it.
Our yard isn't fenced and there's no way we can afford to do so, which is why I'm using this tie-out.

1. if a fence is not a possibility train him with it on, play fetch or some kind of game with it on him. Let him look at it as a good thing not a bad thing.
I hadn't thought of that. Fetch is definitely his game a choice. That should help him.

Just to clarify a little on the tie-out situation, we have NEVER just put him outside then just shut the door behind him. There is always someone out there with him when it's time to go potty. but most of the time, if I'm outside for whatever reason, I'm out there checking on Diesel and his kitten. He sees that an opportunity for him to take off. Even if I'm watching every move he makes, it's like he's there one minute then gone the next. And my mother is disabled, attached to oxygen at all times. He has very little respect for her, and rarely listens and he isn't physically able to go after him. The only way she'll be able to let him out is to put this tie out on him, let him do his business, then wait for him to come back.
We have an abundance of neighbors who let their dogs wander. Doesn't concern them at all. I just don't want my dog to start being one of them. The tie out is my only option, as he won't potty on a leash either.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's doing better on it. He's more apt to potty if I at least carry him down the massive 4 steps first, Lol.
Aleu's better with the cat too. We did have one incident where he scratched her, for whatever reason I don't know, and she nipped him. I think that may have been what it took to get him to back off and get out of her face and for him to do the same.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Glad everything is going better!! Bentley got one really good swipe from one of my cats when I first got him and he didn't try to eat him after that,lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts